Highlighted

Editing DW 8 site in DW CC18

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to import an old website into DW CC18.

The software is not allowing me because the old site doesn't include the right files for CC18, how can I upgrade the old site as I need to edit it.

Also, can I use .mp4 files?

Regards,

MD

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

You don't import anything. 

Go to Site > New Site and tell DW where your old site folder is located on your hard drive.

CC-localsite.jpg

From your Files panel (F8), click on your index.html file to open it in the editor.    If the code contains no validation errors, it should present no problems

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

It goes without saying that a site built in DW 8 could probably use a makeover.  As Jon said, a lot has changed since DW8 came out. 

TOPICS
Dreamweaver CC 2014, Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing DW 8 site in DW CC18

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to import an old website into DW CC18.

The software is not allowing me because the old site doesn't include the right files for CC18, how can I upgrade the old site as I need to edit it.

Also, can I use .mp4 files?

Regards,

MD

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Go to Site > New Site and tell DW where your old site folder is located on your hard drive.

CC-localsite.jpg

From your Files panel (F8), click on your index.html file to open it in the editor.    If the code contains no validation errors, it should present no problems

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

It goes without saying that a site built in DW 8 could probably use a makeover.  As Jon said, a lot has changed since DW8 came out. 

TOPICS
Dreamweaver CC 2014, Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 03, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software is not allowing me because the old site doesn't include the right files for CC18,

Can you elaborate? What is the exact error message?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2018 1
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing your exact workflow and the error you're getting, it's hard to say what might be going wrong.

Files created with DW8 should have no problem opening in CC2018. Editing those files might be a lot more difficult than you are hoping for though. So many features have changed over 13+ years between DW8 and CC2018 that you may find it nearly impossible to update, unless you're hand coding.

MP4 is pretty much the standard video format now, all of the major browsers will read the .MP4 file type natively.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2018 1
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC-localsite.jpg

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2018 1
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your help. Nancy's idea worked. I created a new site and directed it to the old one which sorted out the main problem, thank's a lot.

The mp4 file seems to be sorted as well with a small issue, it went to the left an didn't stay in the centre for some reason.

I am attaching a screenshot of the source code, hope to find out where is my mistake.

Thank you all in advance for your support.

Regards,

MagdiDW.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2018 0
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Table based layouts  are a relic from the pre-mobile & tablet device era.  Today we build sites responsively to work on all devices.  Tables are for tabular data only,   Also, the ALIGN attribute is obsolete and has been for quite a while.

You have much catching up to do.  Bookmark the links below.  Read the chapters, do the code exercises and take quizzes at the end.

Happy coding!

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2018 0