Highlighted

Editing Files

New Here ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dreamweaver for years.  Recently, I had to upgrade to a new Windows 10 box, Creative Cloud, and the new version of Dreamweaver.  After finding my local files, I went to edit, and found I was unable to do so.  I can see the file in the index off to the right, and I can see the full live view version of my existing file to the left.  But, what do I need to do to be enable editing, and saving changes I've made.  Pretty basic stuff, right?

David

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you are in the relatively new Live View Editor instead of Design View. To edit text in Live View, you need to double click it. The selected text will highlight in orange rather than the blue outline that tells you it's selected.

Or open the Document Toolbar under Window > Toolbars > Document...

...and Switch Live to Design.

That should make it act more like the older versions for you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing Files

New Here ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dreamweaver for years.  Recently, I had to upgrade to a new Windows 10 box, Creative Cloud, and the new version of Dreamweaver.  After finding my local files, I went to edit, and found I was unable to do so.  I can see the file in the index off to the right, and I can see the full live view version of my existing file to the left.  But, what do I need to do to be enable editing, and saving changes I've made.  Pretty basic stuff, right?

David

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you are in the relatively new Live View Editor instead of Design View. To edit text in Live View, you need to double click it. The selected text will highlight in orange rather than the blue outline that tells you it's selected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 23, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of what you're looking at would help.

Have you defined your site yet?

Define a site

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2018 0
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once your site is defined, you should be able to double-click on any file from your Files Panel (F8) to open it.

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2018 1
New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, Thanks for your reply/post. Unfortunately, your advice is not helping. My local site is set up, I can see the files in the various folders, I can open them to view in either design or code mode. But, I keep having trouble being able to select and edit text. Every once in a while, I seem to hit some button that enables me to do this, and I've made a few edits to my site. But, I don't know what it is that enables me or prevents me from doing this. I have been using CS3 then CS 5 for years to edit my site -- no problem. But, the sys admins tell me that CS5 is unsecure, so I downloaded the 2018 version of Dreamweaver. But, I'm totally lost. There seem to be many more "operating modes" and I don't understand what each is and how to switch around. Everything is different. It appears now I need to do a stint with tutorials, but it's like learning a completely new program. David

Sent with (https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 1