Highlighted

Error 177 when Updating to Dreamweaver 2020 via Creative Cloud App

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 updated to the latest version.

I used Creative Cloud App to update Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic successfully, but updating Dreamweaver fails with Error Code 177 which tells me "the installation path is too long". 

All the Adobe apps mentioned above are installed using the same path, which BTW is the default path chosen/created by the Creative Cloud App...not me. I've been using these apps installed to this path for about three years and have updated them all numerous times without any problems until now.

When I go into CC settings to see the path it's trying to install to it is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC" which is only 54 characters long.

I know I can change this path, thereby shortening it, but I'm not clear on the future ramifications of doing this since it applies to ALL CC apps, not just Dreamweaver.

EDIT: I looked into manually downloading the Dreamweaver install file, but the 2020 version is not available.

If I change/shorten the install path via the CC app to update Dreamweaver now, the next time Photoshop or Lightroom need to be updated will the CC app still be able to remove the old versions from the old path?

Any help or clarification is appreciated!

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error 177 when Updating to Dreamweaver 2020 via Creative Cloud App

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 updated to the latest version.

I used Creative Cloud App to update Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic successfully, but updating Dreamweaver fails with Error Code 177 which tells me "the installation path is too long". 

All the Adobe apps mentioned above are installed using the same path, which BTW is the default path chosen/created by the Creative Cloud App...not me. I've been using these apps installed to this path for about three years and have updated them all numerous times without any problems until now.

When I go into CC settings to see the path it's trying to install to it is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC" which is only 54 characters long.

I know I can change this path, thereby shortening it, but I'm not clear on the future ramifications of doing this since it applies to ALL CC apps, not just Dreamweaver.

EDIT: I looked into manually downloading the Dreamweaver install file, but the 2020 version is not available.

If I change/shorten the install path via the CC app to update Dreamweaver now, the next time Photoshop or Lightroom need to be updated will the CC app still be able to remove the old versions from the old path?

Any help or clarification is appreciated!

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 16, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a 64-bit computer and OS.  My Adobe CC apps going back several years have all installed directly on C:/Program Files/Adobe/ which is the default location for 64-bit apps.   32-bit apps are typically installed to Program Files (x86).  

See the latest system requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/system-requirements.html

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Nancy!

I do have a 64-bit PC and OS, verified looking at Windows 10 System Info and the latest Photoshop System Info via it's Help menu. I successfully upgraded to Photoshop version 21.0.1 20191106.r.47 last week with no issues, and I see it's minimum system requirements also need a 64-bit OS. I also upgraded Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge at the same time.

I'm puzzled as to why they all upgraded to the same "too long path" posted in my original question, but Dreamweaver didn't. Also puzzled why a path of 54 characters would be considered too long in this day and age.

I guess at this point I'd like to un-install all my CC apps and re-install them to a different/shorter path. 

My guess is you've done that yourself before? Is the process as straight forward as it seems/should be? Does it make any difference whether I use the CC Desktop App to un-install them or Windows 10 Add / Remove Programs?

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 1
Preran LATEST
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for being this late to the discussion. Has your issue been resolved or do you still need assistance. If you are still looking for help, I suggest getting in touch with our tech support team directly using this link https://adobe.ly/2WYE62m

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0