• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extension Manager [Emmet shortcuts]

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to install the Emmet extension. I'm using a trial version of Dreamweaver to learn on and decide if it's worth the payment vs Sublime. I keep coming back to this:

"If you haven't already installed Extension Manager CC, click Help > Manage Extensions in your application to download and install Extension Manager automatically."

I'm assuming I do that in Dreamweaver, but that option isn't in Help. I can only assume it isn't an option with the trial version, but something that simple would surely be first and foremost in the docs. Seriously, why couldn't a download link be available right there in the docs instead of sending me on a wild hunt, anyway? Not really enjoying this experience so far.

It's buggy.

I have to close out of my file and reopen it often to even type.

I had to uninstall and reinstall once already.

I have 2 more days of this trial. I'd love to play around, but I keep hitting walls that take forever to find my way over. It's a real bummer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Hi Jon,

It's working now without the reinstall. I decided to just try one last time before uninstalling it in the hopes closing the app and reopening it had worked somehow and it did. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWCC already has Emmet built in, there's no need for an additional extension. Go to Edit > Preferences > Code Format and ensure the "Expand abbreviations using the Tab key" is checked next to Emmet:

Adobe discontinued the Extension Manager some time ago, the only ones that work with the latest version of DW would be from third parties like Project VII and DMXZone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clearing that up, Jon. My first search was to enable emmet in DW, so I'm not sure why it took me down that fork in the road.

I did as you suggested and the box was checked. I unchecked and rechecked it and clicked Apply, but it still isn't working for my shortcuts. Any other suggestions?

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file type are you working in?

Do any abbreviations work?

In Code View, hit p then tab, you should get <p></p>

If you do, it's possible the abbreviation you're trying to use just doesn't work in DW. I've seen weirder things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In code view, type p> Lorem followed by the Tab key.

This is what I get  which means Emmet is working.

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Nemo dicta illum dolorem, eum nesciunt est sit nobis doloribus expedita neque delectus vel nisi, quam, libero! Animi adipisci assumenda dolorum a?</p>

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melissaloggins  wrote

I have 2 more days of this trial. I'd love to play around, but I keep hitting walls that take forever to find my way over. It's a real bummer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Used to be a full 30 day trial period. There aint no way and no how anyone can assess a program such as DW in 7 or 8 days as l believe the trial period is these days, simply madness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not kidding. If it wouldn't be so buggy, I'd enjoy the challenge, but with the bugs and the small timeframe, it's a bit stressful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure why you would want to come from Sublime to DW, the two are as different as chalk and cheese. Sublime is purely for those that are confident in a coding environment and enjoy the challenge of coding whilst DW is aimed mainly at non coders or those that have limited coding ability, both who like to use extensions for creating navs, slideshows, database integration etc, and a more visual approach. DW wins hands down when it comes to file management and snippet creation, Sublime in that respect is either non existent or barely there.

If youre looking for a FREE coding environment and dont need to have your hand held l would look at Netbeans in preference to Sublime, Atom, Brackets or VC Code, non coders need not apply DW is more suited to you.

Netbeans has an emmet add on although l have not tried it yet as its not something that is crital to my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

DW is aimed mainly at non coders or those that have limited coding ability,

I don't agree.  Muse is aimed at non-coders.  As a  DW user, I spend 90% of my time in code view.   The code hints, auto completion and site management features work very well.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youre telling me DW is aimed at coders and yet it is quite clearly a favorite amongst those that like to use extensions to create slideshows, navigation, database integration etc. No coder, that l would consider to be a coder would use an extension for that kind of workflow. You might encounter a few but not in any significant numbers. We all know DW has been disfunctional for some time now, sitting on the fence, not really knowing what it is or where it fits in. Its neither one thing or the other but its certainly not aimed primarily at coders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's disheartening, but not suprising, seeing as it's already a pain just to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, it's because I have an interview. But it's fun to play with, anyway, if I can just get past the bugginess of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with the interview. I would question a company that specifically requests you use DW for web development, what web editing tools you use to develop with should be your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you ever get it working and can resist a lot of the bad stuff included in DW and can live with wearing the same dress as your Grandma it could be quite a useful bit of software in the hands of those that know what to use and what to avoid. Unfortantely a lot arent hugely disciplined so end up using a workflow which, if they intend to do this professionally, wont benefit them in the long run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The p + tab nor the p>Lorem is doing a thing. I could have sworn the tab was at least working yesterday, but I just found out about emmet and am dying to do all the shortcuts.

I got it working in Sublime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing the preferences...

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Even a full uninstall/reinstall can leave some files behind that can affect the new installation. Clearing Prefs should get you to factory settings where Emmet should function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work. The popup never popped up.

I think I'm just going to uninstall and reinstall again. Seemed to help last night because before that I couldn't even see the code, much less type in it. I'll update if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try again, but use the directions for CC2014 and earlier (basically you're just doing what was supposed to happen manually). All you need to do is follow the instructions and swap out mention of Dreamweaver CC 2014 for the CC2018 version.

Like I mentioned above, corrupt files can get left behind and affect future installations, manually removing them and forcing DW to create new ones will usually do the trick when something isn't working like it should be..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

It's working now without the reinstall. I decided to just try one last time before uninstalling it in the hopes closing the app and reopening it had worked somehow and it did. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melissaloggins  wrote

Hi Jon,

Ah, good to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines