Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External links not working Dreamweaver CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am currently coding a website on dreamweaver CC 2018 and I have a problem with my external links, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, I don't really understand how it works, I read somewhere that it's because it's supposed to have a " proper server path " and not a "local path"

But i don't really understand what it means, and how to fix it.

Here's an example of a link that works, and the result on the preview

link pb forum works magali.PNG

And a link that DOESNT work  and the result on the preview

link pb forum.PNG

I really hope i can sort this out with your help !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Looks like you're using Adobe's Real Time Preview.

Try using Open in Browser instead...

1. Right click on the file name in the Files panel to access a context menu
1a. If your documents are set as tabs in your application frame, you can alternatively right click the document's named tab
2. Within the menu that comes up will be the option "Open in Browser", choose that

This works like the old Preview in Browser by opening your local file within one of your browser windows directly. Real Time Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that port 59648 is in use when you try the second instance?

Is there a reason for using a port?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier​

Excuse me, where do you see that port? honestly i did the two links the exact same way ;w;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<a href= "https://www.facebook.com/astucespourdys/" >page Facebook</a>

All my links are made this way BenPleysier​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're using Adobe's Real Time Preview.

Try using Open in Browser instead...

1. Right click on the file name in the Files panel to access a context menu
1a. If your documents are set as tabs in your application frame, you can alternatively right click the document's named tab
2. Within the menu that comes up will be the option "Open in Browser", choose that

This works like the old Preview in Browser by opening your local file within one of your browser windows directly. Real Time Preview on the other hand, shows you your page within a frame on Adobe's servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ! This is it! everything works now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jon_Fritz_II 

Is there an issue with adobe Dreamweaver real-time previewer? I had a similar issues with some local links working, others just not going anywhere - I spent hours troubleshooting, but when I checked the site using Atom, everything worked fine, all the links were perfect. I'd still like to understand what the issue is.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real Time Preview has always been, at best, hit or miss for me. I don't know what the issue is, but I also don't like the feeling of having my site on Adobe's servers in order to preview what I'm doing with it. It just seems... "off" to me.

Personally, I don't even try to use it anymore, once I found a way to disable it in the program files. Now Adobe has given us control over it through the Preferences though...

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Real-time Preview
2. Check the box for Default to Static Browser Preview at the top of the window
3. Hit Apply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, I used static viewer as you suggested and seems to be working well.  I appreciate the response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jon - for the sake of refreshing the browser window manually I don't see the point, the real-time preview has never worked properly in Dreamweaver

If you want a similiar solution, I have used Live Reload with the Firefox extenions and found it works fine.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I should have asked before spending several hours trying to figure out what was going on, haha. Static viewer seems to be working well, as does the live server in Atom.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines