Highlighted

F.A.O Ben

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had read and interpreted the OP's question properly, you would have noticed that they did not want a font that was larger than the desktop version; they wanted a font that was larger than what they were seeing in their handheld device. From that, I deducted that the page/site was not mobile optimised. The best way to solve that problem is to properly optimize the site. Not having access to the code, I thought that one way to solve the problem is to use the viewport meta tag.

Right or wrong, who is to say?

Sorry I could NOT reply to the original thread as someone has seen fit to lock that for some peculiar reason, because a debatable and polite discusion was in flow.....hummm.

Well its obviously wrong IF you beleive in the concensors of opinion from those of us that contribute regularly around here (including yourself) is to teach good practices? Creating a horizontal scroll bar on a mobile device (which is what 'shrink-to-fit=no' is going to do IF the OPs website is set to a static width) is not something I would be advising any time soon.

Edited:

Probably the best option would be for this post to be amalgamated with the original post, otherwise this doesn't make much sense.

Unless there is some form of aggression or personal abuse locking a post for no good reason and denying a right to reply, is unacceptable, in my opinion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

F.A.O Ben

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had read and interpreted the OP's question properly, you would have noticed that they did not want a font that was larger than the desktop version; they wanted a font that was larger than what they were seeing in their handheld device. From that, I deducted that the page/site was not mobile optimised. The best way to solve that problem is to properly optimize the site. Not having access to the code, I thought that one way to solve the problem is to use the viewport meta tag.

Right or wrong, who is to say?

Sorry I could NOT reply to the original thread as someone has seen fit to lock that for some peculiar reason, because a debatable and polite discusion was in flow.....hummm.

Well its obviously wrong IF you beleive in the concensors of opinion from those of us that contribute regularly around here (including yourself) is to teach good practices? Creating a horizontal scroll bar on a mobile device (which is what 'shrink-to-fit=no' is going to do IF the OPs website is set to a static width) is not something I would be advising any time soon.

Edited:

Probably the best option would be for this post to be amalgamated with the original post, otherwise this doesn't make much sense.

Unless there is some form of aggression or personal abuse locking a post for no good reason and denying a right to reply, is unacceptable, in my opinion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No aggression and certainly no abuse.  l locked this discussion, not Ben.  I did it because you're beating a dead horse.  The OP already picked the answer THEY liked best and moved on.  There's really nothing more for any of us to say. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it wasnt Ben who locked the discussion.

If you and Ben want to offer up poor solutions and advice then that's your prerogative, of course, just dont expect me to sit back and suck it up just because the people you are offering these solutions to don't know any better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_, if the OP of that subject was a dinkum web developer, they would have supplied the code for us to disect. Even now, with the inferior solution, if they find a problem with a horizontal scrollbar, they would come back to us. In which case you would have ample opportunity to supply your copy and paste solution.

This happens to be a Dreamweaver forum to assist purchasers of the product to be able to use it. It is not a forum to hold the users hand while we parade them through the world of code. There are other resources on the web that will do a much better job.

As a side note: I see that you have been following my tutorials on YouTube. +1

Edit: Please do not get me wrong, I am not knocking the copy and paste solution. In fact I admire your input.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 1
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless it escaped your notice Ben, the question WAS NOT specifically about Dreamweaver which is why I responded. I don't usually respond to questions specifically about DW as I'm not expert enough these days in the workings of DW to hold anyones hand, since I stopped using it a few years back.

The question was a general question in regards to how to make the text larger in mobile devices to which I responded with the correct suggestions inline with what would be expected IF one was executing the end-result properly. Not just using a hack which will annoy anyone viewing a website on mobile devices with the necessity to scroll right to see all the content, you seem to think that is acceptable, which is a bit dismal really considering how long you yourself have been doing this stuff. I would have expected a bit more professionalism by now, or at least an acknowledgement that it is a hack.

In terms of my 'copy and paste' solution. I do try and supply a detailed explanation as to what the code does, rather than some of us around here that do actually just say 'copy and paste this code' or 'go to this url'

The tutorials on Youtube, yes, although I had zero idea initially that they were your Wappler tutorials (the voice over confused me until I managed to reach the end of one of the videos where you announced it actually was you, even then I was not convinced but I'll take your word for it. I'm more used to the slow, understated dulcet tone of voice used in one of your much earlier attempts, which I presume really was you).

Anyway all that aside I think the videos are well produced and considered, you may have found a bit of a niche to fill in the time during your retirement. It's just a pity that they appeal to so few people, which is why the view count is not that great.

Wappler youtube channel has been going now for what 3 years (maybe, certainly 2) and still only just over 1K subcribers. Have a look at Traversy media or  similar were they get that many views in an hour once the video is released. And as you know part of my job is to know what other developers are doing. I can then make subjective comments should I need to, now for instance or in the future, rather than those based on hot-air.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 1