Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files Not Showing in Remote View

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is weird.

My husband and I added a new html file  to our site today, plus modified a few files. ALL files appear on the net as we intended. However, the new file that we added DOES NOT APPEAR in the remote view file list. It DOES show in the local view. I have tried this on all three computers (Macs) and none of them show the file in the remote list, so it does not appear to be a local cache or configuration issue.

I created a new test file with just a line of text in it, put that up, and it does show. However, I have made copies of the one that doesn't show and renamed it, copied the entire code and pasted into a new file which also doesn't show...I even tried putting it into a different folder. Can't make it happen.

One more thing: it DOES show up on our remote server (siteground) and I have flushed the cache for the site.

One more thing: I duplicated a completely different file, renamed it and put it up, no problem. But this one, even renamed, refuses to be seen.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

Debbie

Using Dreamweaver CS6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Both of the filenames start with dvdcoll_baksillum with a different character at the end. This gets translated into an 8.3 format, meaning that the name will be represented in the file system as 8 characters long and the extension 3 characters long. In the translation the trailing character was lost and both files looked the same in the file system. By changing one of the other characters, the file system recognised that they were two different files.

Sorry, my explanation may be confusing due to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image result for gremlins at work

Do you mind showing a screen shot of the expanded (showing both local and remote) files panel? That way we can get an idea of what is happening.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Here is a screenshot. There are two files called dvdcoll_baksillump and dvdcoll_baksilumz in the local folder (on the right), but not on the remote server (on the left). These two files are the renamed versions. If there are other inconsistencies donā€™t worry about those. This is the secondary computer we use and not all remote files are on the local server.

Debbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no screenshot to be seen, but your description has helped.

I used to use .htaccess files (prior to my nginx days) and they did not show up in the remote server files panel. This has to do with the server setting and not with Dreamweaver. I assume that, with filenames like dvdcoll_baksillump and dvdcoll_baksilumz there would be a similar problem. If you give the files an extension like .txt or .inc or similar, I think that they will show up.

Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry the screenshot did not show up. Let's try again. I'm not sure I understand your answer but, of course, the files have .htm extensions.Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 7.19.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind changing the 'k' in one of the files to a 'c' and see what happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That worked! Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of the filenames start with dvdcoll_baksillum with a different character at the end. This gets translated into an 8.3 format, meaning that the name will be represented in the file system as 8 characters long and the extension 3 characters long. In the translation the trailing character was lost and both files looked the same in the file system. By changing one of the other characters, the file system recognised that they were two different files.

Sorry, my explanation may be confusing due to lack of time. Google the subject if you want to know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ben,

Many thanks! I have now changed the name to something much simpler and there is no issue. Wow, after 2 decades of working with DW, still a lot of corners I have never shined light into.

Debbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines