Highlighted

Find and replace on site files causes Dreamweaver to hog CPU and freeze

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use Dreamweaver CC 2017 to search files in the site. Whether I search the entire local site or just select some files and choose to do a find on those, the search results panel will open but the Dreamweaver process will then increase to over 100% CPU in Activity monitor, the process will change to say Dreamweaver is not responding and the search never completes. I have to force quit the app to recover.

This search files function is essential to be able to identify which scripts call certain routines so Dreamweaver is crippled without this feature.

Please help!

I am running the very latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.5 release 9878 (I updated it this evening but still has the same problem) under Mac OS 10.12.6 (16G29) in a 2012 15" MacBook Pro (pre-retina) 2.3GHz i7 with 8GB RAM.

TOPICS
Dreamweaver | Mac OS issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Find and replace on site files causes Dreamweaver to hog CPU and freeze

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use Dreamweaver CC 2017 to search files in the site. Whether I search the entire local site or just select some files and choose to do a find on those, the search results panel will open but the Dreamweaver process will then increase to over 100% CPU in Activity monitor, the process will change to say Dreamweaver is not responding and the search never completes. I have to force quit the app to recover.

This search files function is essential to be able to identify which scripts call certain routines so Dreamweaver is crippled without this feature.

Please help!

I am running the very latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.5 release 9878 (I updated it this evening but still has the same problem) under Mac OS 10.12.6 (16G29) in a 2012 15" MacBook Pro (pre-retina) 2.3GHz i7 with 8GB RAM.

TOPICS
Dreamweaver | Mac OS issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce your problem on Windows10.

How big is your site?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure how to quantify that. It’s an osCommerce web site and not huge. Dream weaver 8 had no problem searching it at speed. Maybe it’s only a problem on Mac OS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 0
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of PHP & MySQL driven websites but the total number of files are not huge because data comes from my local server's MySQL.

Can you create a TEST site definition with a few files and some dummy text?

It might be helpful to know if you have the same F&R problems on a different site.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 0
Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Nancy,

I have the same problem than Nick, and as I said, I already reproted it to the folks @adobe, it often happen on large web site, like Piwik, WP , Drupal, OsCommerce CMS based, For informations WP is 25Mo containing 1600 files nested in 340 folders

but it either happens on non PHP web site too... I've worked on a pure HTML web site (because it has to be consulted on web and e-pub, from the same source)... the complete web site is  990Mo and contains 4700 files nested in 1000 folders... and DW always hang up... but not ST, NotePad, ....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2017 0
Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I face often the same problem... when the search is done on many files... DW starts to slow down really strongly... until frozen... then the only workaround is to force quit from task manager.

I've already reported this bug since three of four versions (not builds... versions)... and the problem still present.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember a number of people reporting Dw 2017 (and previous versions) hogging the cpu on the Mac, and whilst i cannot definably say the dev team have fixed the problem, i do know they are aware of it.

Maybe Preran​ can supply more information?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on Windows 10. It's extremely annoying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking with the team. Stay tuned for a response. Responses could be delayed because of some of the members being at Adobe MAX this week.

Feel free to get in touch with Adobe Support Contact Customer Care  meanwhile for investigation.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with the team and they said that they tried to reproduce this bug previously but weren't able to. They have reopened the bug and it is possible that they will get in touch with you for further investigation.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to my original post, I actually have around 10 sites that I maintain, some really small and some larger but I am unable to use the find in files search function on any of them. This has been happening on at least the last 2 versions of Dreaweaver I downloaded. In this time I’ve changed my Mac twice and gone through several OS X upgrades.

This is against a background of horrendous instability within Dreamweaver. Keyboard shortcuts stop working regularly and I have to delete my preferences at least once a month. Often when I open a file, no code appears in the window and I have to close and re-open it. The app often get very sluggish and I have to quit and re-open it. The whole thing has felt for years like a pre-beta release and I would so love for a version to be released that did not add any more features, but got the app working reliably.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2017 0
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with Dreamweaver.

I am unable to recreate the issue at my end. I tried with around 4000+ files on both Mac 10.12 and Win 10.

Can your please provide the following information so that i can recreate it at my end?

• Are you seeing the issue only when you do Find in Site/folder or with any find operation?
  • Are the files in your site on the local disk or in a network drive?
  • Are there any other apps running apart from DW when the issue occurs?
  • Are you seeing this in all sites or just some sites? If in just some sites can you please let us know the type of files are present in the site? It would be great if you can share the files.
  • Is it possible to record a video of the issue and share it with us?

Regards,

dbc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2017 1