• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding a piece of code

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm fairly new to coding although I know my way around... however I have picked up the maintenance of a website that someone else built and I have looked at all the code and I can't find where the person who originally built the website put the style for the nav. Is there a way in Dreamweaver to, for example, highlight the nav in the preview screen and it takes you to that piece of code? Sorry if this is a basic question but I've googled and can't find the answer! All I want to do it put up the font-weight a bit and it's taken me hours already. haha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

One of the easiest ways to find the styles affecting any given part of your site would be to preview it in a browser like Firefox or Chrome. Then from within the browser, right click the element and choose Inspect Element. This will list not only the selectors that style a given element, but will also show the file name and line number that the style comes from.

From within the latest versions of DW, you can click the element in Code View, then hit Ctrl/Cmnd + E for the Quick Edit function. That

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use Dreamweaver CC, but to do that in CC, you go to split view, and then click where you want to look at in the top window (the image)  Whereever you click will be highlighted in your code (doesn't seem to work in .css, but if you do it in HTML, you can see if there's a name to search the CSS for.  I use Ctrl+F to search CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the easiest ways to find the styles affecting any given part of your site would be to preview it in a browser like Firefox or Chrome. Then from within the browser, right click the element and choose Inspect Element. This will list not only the selectors that style a given element, but will also show the file name and line number that the style comes from.

From within the latest versions of DW, you can click the element in Code View, then hit Ctrl/Cmnd + E for the Quick Edit function. That will pull up a small inset window showing the selectors that affect the element. You can then click the selectors on the right, to edit the style code on the left of the inset window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines