Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force refresh external files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to refresh an external stylesheet that is referenced in my html page. 

ie: (<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://somesite.com/custom.css">)

Since it is not a local file, clicking the refresh at the bottom right of the files panel does not refresh the external file.  Clicking out of the tab and back into it doesnt refresh either.  I still see the old styles. 

I can't find a way to force refresh external files.

This is driving me bonkers becasue I need to often pull the latest version of the css file which is changing often while im developing.  Pulling in a local copy will just make matters worse as Im not the only devleoper on the project.  So we update a common css file that we are both using to work with.

Any help/tricks/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

todd

TOPICS
Interface , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a strange way to develop a site.

But to answer your question, you can do a bit of cache busting as per https://css-tricks.com/strategies-for-cache-busting-css/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben.  So there is no internal way to refresh the files Dreamweaver is reading from external sources?

I guess its strange but we had a lot of problems trying to work locally on our own files and then merging our seperate work into a single css file.  This seems to work best for us becasue we immediately see our changes to the css.  Buttt its no good if Dreamweaver doesnt refresh for me..

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a version control system?

If you are using git then refreshing the files located in git, (or any other version control) will show you, (in the files panel, and in code view) both the updated files and the updated portions of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Ill check that out to see how that works for us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines