• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ftp login problem with Dreamweaver 8

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to reinstall DreamWeaver 8 after a hard drive problem.  Clearly all of my previous settings were lost but I had a backup of the website..  My ISP provided me with the FTP username and password, the folder I needed to enter and the fact that FTP should not have a check in the 'secure' box.

I have tried again and again to login but each time I get the message saying DW cannot make a connection to the host and either the usename of password is incorrect.  My ISP insist they have given me the correct details.

I have searched online but most of the articles simply say either the username or password must be incorrect which it would appear cannot be the case.

I have successfully used DW8 for many years without any problems so I am completely at a loss as to how to solve the problem.

Any ideas will be most welcome.

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Thank  you - I realise DW8 is very old but I run a village website and cannot afford the cost of the latest version 😞 

I am pleased to say I have solved the problem.I actually tried using 'Classic FTP' software to see if the problem was DW. It wasn't as it could not connect.  I then tried all the different combinations I could think of and 'presto' it worked by ignoring the ftp username I was given. It turned out my ISP gave me the wrong username!

Case closed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem might be that I need to install the 8.02 patch.  The problem being that Windows 10 seems to make it difficult to run PatchPackage.msp as admin.  PowerShell doesn't run it.  I previously managed to install it when my Machine was running Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 so it was already there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macromedia DW8 is very old software --  no longer sold, supported or officially certified to run on Win 10.

Can you connect to your server with a dedicated FTP client like Filezilla?

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

If not, then the problem lies somewhere between your computer and the host's server. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank  you - I realise DW8 is very old but I run a village website and cannot afford the cost of the latest version 😞 

I am pleased to say I have solved the problem.I actually tried using 'Classic FTP' software to see if the problem was DW. It wasn't as it could not connect.  I then tried all the different combinations I could think of and 'presto' it worked by ignoring the ftp username I was given. It turned out my ISP gave me the wrong username!

Case closed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines