• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FTP Password error

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop is not as reliable as it was so I have put my DW 5.5 website onto a new desktop. Despite copying all the settings and password over to the new machine, it keeps showing as FTP Error and I'm unable to use it.

I have been in touch with my hosting company who have written
"the FTP feature is working, and based on the information in the Screenshot it looks like you have everything setup correctly, so we need to change the password, at least temporarily, do I have your permission to do so?"
This is my only website and I'm anxious that I'll end up with conflicting passwords on both laptop and desktop . How do I change the password on both laptop and desktop myself ?

Many thanks

Paul

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

If needed, click on More Options.

CC-MoreOptions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The password they're talking about is the FTP password on the server, not anything to do with DW itself. Once changed on the server, you would enter the new password in your site settings on both machines.

But looking at what you've posted, your FTP credentials may be incomplete. Are you sure you aren't supposed to have something in the Root Directory folder?

Usually "something" will go there, whether it's "www" "public_html" or just a "/", it's rare for it to need to be left empty and that could affect your connectivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you export your old site definition settings (.ste file) from 1st computer & import them into 2nd computer?

How to import and export Dreamweaver site settings

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If needed, click on More Options.

CC-MoreOptions.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks to everyone for your advice. I'm up and running on the desktop.

Thanks,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines