• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Git Noob in need of help getting off the ground

Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  have just updated Dreamweaver to the latest 2018 version, support for git now being part of the last couple of upgrades I have decided to take the long overdue plunge. I have read through: Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver CC.  for a quick run down and installed the git client 2.14.1 (Mac OS X). Step 2 on the Adobe learn how page states: 'Create an account for your git client', the git client install doesn't add an app to the applications directory (not that I can see) and there aren't any 'create an account' links on the git website, how do I create an account?

If I now click on the 'Show git view' icon in Dreamweaver it lists a colour coded copy of my site files, I can also open the git panel and see all of my untracked site files  which implies that an account has been created and possibly a repository. Do I have an account? Do I need a set of login details? Has a repository been created (locally?)? Have I been allocated space on a remote git server for multiple repositories? Where do I go from here?

Any help appreciated getting over this initial learning curve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

At the moment, you can only work locally, a good start. If you want an online Git account, you will have to sign up by going to The world's leading software development platform · GitHub   the part just above the footer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment, you can only work locally, a good start. If you want an online Git account, you will have to sign up by going to The world's leading software development platform · GitHub   the part just above the footer.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as Ben said you can go for github, but there are plenty git server out there... bit bucket, source forge, git lab for just talk about them... but there are many other solution...

the only one problem that you will face is that most of the git server (as a service) wont offer any free private subscription, that do mean that all your datas will be sharable by the entire community... if you want to run a private GIT repository, you will have to go for a premium account (paid)

thought you can find some free solution, bitbucket, gitlab, allura are some of them... just google "free private git repository"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so am I right in thinking that having an online account is not essential and that if I do not need a collaborative work flow a local set-up will suffice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if i click on 'Initialise Git' in the Dreamweaver files panel for each of my sites a local repository will be created for each site and as I do not work in a team this is the best way for me to handle versioning, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you make a regular backup, I would say Yes.

I have taken out a paid version of Github so that I always have an online backup of my sites. The cost is the same as having two cafe lattes a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines