Highlighted

How do I create a mobile site next to my current desktop version?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dreamweaver experts,

I want to create a mobile website but I don't want a full responsive site. i am happy with my current website www.moltocreativo.nl and want to maintain it for desktop and iPad users.

However, for mobile phone users (smaller than iPad) I would like to create a new mobile site. Question is: how do I create a mobile site only for phone users, and how do I automatically direct the them to the mobile site?

Advice would be appreciated.

Michael

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

If you're using Behance / Portfolio, then you've got a mobile friendly site which sort of takes care of your original question.

Do a Google search for Redirect to a Mobile subdomain.  After you do the background research, I think you'll agree it's not a good solution.   The mobile user-agent list is enormous.

UserAgentString.com - List of Mobile Browser User Agent Strings

It must be updated regularly to stay current with new user-agents.  And there's no bulletproof method for catching all mobile phone users.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I create a mobile site next to my current desktop version?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dreamweaver experts,

I want to create a mobile website but I don't want a full responsive site. i am happy with my current website www.moltocreativo.nl and want to maintain it for desktop and iPad users.

However, for mobile phone users (smaller than iPad) I would like to create a new mobile site. Question is: how do I create a mobile site only for phone users, and how do I automatically direct the them to the mobile site?

Advice would be appreciated.

Michael

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

If you're using Behance / Portfolio, then you've got a mobile friendly site which sort of takes care of your original question.

Do a Google search for Redirect to a Mobile subdomain.  After you do the background research, I think you'll agree it's not a good solution.   The mobile user-agent list is enormous.

It must be updated regularly to stay current with new user-agents.  And there's no bulletproof method for catching all mobile phone users.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 21, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current site is only 4 pages.  Rebuild it with a responsive layout.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thans Nancy, It has a lot more pages than 4 and I don't want to rebuild it because its design can not be transformed to a responsive layout, especially the 'showcase pages'. And I don't like responsive websites as they hold me back in my creativity and the current desktop version stands out being different than the average responsive layouts which is my signature being a designer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest problems you face:

1) Everyone uses mobile devices now.  You don't have the luxury of picking & choosing your audience.  It could be coming from a tablet or a new generation iPhone or laptop or desktop.  

2) The user-agents often pretend to be other user-agents which is geek speak for an iPhone pretends to be Safari for Tablet or desktop so you can't reliably target that device as a mobile phone even if it is one.

3) Maintaining 2 separate sites is costly and time consuming.

4)  Your main site will still take a penalty from Google for not being mobile friendly.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy,

http://www.moltocreativo.nl/concepten.html This is what I meant.

I've read you can automatically send a mobile user to a different version of a website, just don't know how.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site you have now  can be made responsive.  But the manner in which you're displaying your creative work is very poor for search engines and translators (images of text cannot be indexed).

I would much prefer to see you use Adobe Portfolio / Behance to showcase your work as a designer.  It's free with your Creative Cloud membership.

See what you can do with Adobe Portfolio |

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy,

Yes I know, that's the reason I want a mobile version next to the desktop site. This must be possible.

Your suggestion about Bechance is a good one, yesterday I uploaded my first work there and i will continue doing this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikev71255270  wrote

Thans Nancy, It has a lot more pages than 4 and I don't want to rebuild it because its design can not be transformed to a responsive layout, especially the 'showcase pages'. And I don't like responsive websites as they hold me back in my creativity and the current desktop version stands out being different than the average responsive layouts which is my signature being a designer.

Piffle Wiffle, whats holding you back is your refusal to accept things have moved on and you need to move on with them, forget the past, it's gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, thats not the case Osgood lol.

In the 'designer business' you need to be unique and stick out. This is what my website does in my opinion. Thinking 'out of the box' and being different is what counts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the helpful reply Nancy,

I will do a Google search.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

except if you really need a different application specific to mobile, why would you like to have two differents web site depending on the device ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Birnou for your reply.

As i responded to Nancy; I want to maintain the desktop version because it is a unique design which can't be transformed in to a responsive design.

But on a mobile phone i want to build a simplistic version which fits the screen better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so you mean that the content, not only the display, will be completly different ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it will be in the same 'corporate identity' style, but specially designed for the mobile user with less content.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you say less content, will it be a read more link, or will it be a complete hidden content... if that is the case, I share Nancy's point concerning the splitting audience which is not fair...

when I said earlier "... except if you really need a different application specific to mobile..." I mean... well... imagine that you develop a mobile application (non native one)... like an application that use your mobile camera, then your GPS, then ... well you get the point... and that will only be usefull and workable from a mobile navigation... so the desktop web site is just here for explaining the project, give needed information and link to the application... and the mobile application will deliver the application itself

but apparently that is not the case... so try to use your designer abilities to draw a design specific to small screen.. that will be more usefull. Don't you think ? what is the problem that block you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I fully understand you Birnou, but yes, I will do a design specific to a small screen, that is not the problem. My problem is that I don't know how i can automaticly direct the mobile user to this 'new and smaller' mobile site. Can this be done in Dreamweaver?

A mobile site in 'portrait Mode' is just not very useful for showing my portfolio like shown on my desktop site. Thats why I want to maintain the desktop version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2017 0