• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix dead link when using Preview In Browser?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Dreamweaver CC 2017.

I have 4 images used as links on a web page. The links work fine when viewing page on the web or opening the page directly through browser. When I use Preview In Browser, one of the links does not work. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Are you using Live Preview, or Open in Browser?

Live Preview took over the F12 shortcut from the old Preview in Browser. It uses Adobe's servers to give you a live view of your page during editing. Because of that, certain links just don't ever seem to work right. It never works correctly for me, so I use the other option.

You may get more mileage from using the Open in Browser function. You can right click the file name in the Files window, or if your open documents are set as tabs across your Ap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Live Preview, or Open in Browser?

Live Preview took over the F12 shortcut from the old Preview in Browser. It uses Adobe's servers to give you a live view of your page during editing. Because of that, certain links just don't ever seem to work right. It never works correctly for me, so I use the other option.

You may get more mileage from using the Open in Browser function. You can right click the file name in the Files window, or if your open documents are set as tabs across your App Frame you can right click on the document tab itself, and choose "Open In Browser" which is the old Preview in Browser.

Personally, I dislike Live Preview so much, I modified one of the program files to force DW to use Open in Browser on F12 (since the program doesn't allow remapping that in keyboard shortcuts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II  wrote

Personally, I dislike Live Preview so much, I modified one of the program files to force DW to use Open in Browser on F12 (since the program doesn't allow remapping that in keyboard shortcuts).

Really, which file did you edit?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To re-map the old Preview in Browser (Open in Browser) to F12 rather than Live Preview...

1. Close DW and go to...

Windows: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

Mac: Applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

(I think, I don't have a Mac to test)

2. Open the file "PIB_Dynamic.js"

2a. As always, make a backup in case something goes sideways. Add _old at the end of the file name.

3. Search for the text "dw.browseDocument". There are 3 spots with that code, but the first two are just comments. The right one should be on or about line 433, and change the text "isPIB" to "true"

The finished line of code will look like...

dw.browseDocument(dw.getDocumentPath('document'),theBrowser, "-1"/*help argument*/, false /*use temp doc*/, true);

4. Save the file to your desktop

5. Drag the file into the original location from Step 1. You will be prompted for your Admin credentials in order to make the copy/replacement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines