Highlighted

How do I get my IP address from Dreamweaver?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I built a website using Dreamweaver. I want to make it alive now. I bought the domain from Godaddy. GoDaddy needs an IP address from Dreamwaever for the website. How do I obtain the IP for my new website from Dreamweaver?

To put it in simple terms:

You buy a domain name. You can't do much with it UNLESS you have also purchased some website hosting space from a website hosting provider.

Once you have purchased a domain name and have some hosting space you can then upload your website files to the hosting space. The hosting provider will usually provide you with FTP/Control Panel usernames/passwords needed for uploading files and managing your website. Usually if you puchase the domain name and hosting space from the same company then they will point your domain name at their named servers.

If you purchase the domain name and the hosting space from different companies you might have the option to point your domain name at the hosting companies servers via the control panel yourself or your hosting provider may be able to do that for you, - most reasonable hosting companies will do that if you ask.

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I get my IP address from Dreamweaver?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I built a website using Dreamweaver. I want to make it alive now. I bought the domain from Godaddy. GoDaddy needs an IP address from Dreamwaever for the website. How do I obtain the IP for my new website from Dreamweaver?

You buy a domain name. You can't do much with it UNLESS you have also purchased some website hosting space from a website hosting provider.

Once you have purchased a domain name and have some hosting space you can then upload your website files to the hosting space. The hosting provider will usually provide you with FTP/Control Panel usernames/passwords needed for uploading files and managing your website. Usually if you puchase the domain name and hosting space from the same company then they will point your domain name at their named servers.

If you purchase the domain name and the hosting space from different companies you might have the option to point your domain name at the hosting companies servers via the control panel yourself or your hosting provider may be able to do that for you, - most reasonable hosting companies will do that if you ask.

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is not the place to get an IP address.

When you say that you bought a domain from GoDaddy, what do you mean? Have you got a domain name and have you set the correct DNS settings?

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I have got my domain name from GoDaddy and how do I set the correct DNS settings.

This is a message that I get:

An FTP error occured - cannot make connection to host.

The remote host cannot be found

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is your web server hosting provider? 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy. I have my domain name from GoDaddy but thay need the IP address from me in order to make the website alive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of articles on the subject like this one https://au.godaddy.com/help/manage-dns-for-your-hosting-account-5178

What is the domain name as in www.mywebsite.com

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, my problem is that the FTP cannot make a connection with remote server. It says it is iinternal data error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all sorts of things and changing to my hotspot from my iPhone and I have now download the FileZilla FTP app

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it almost sounds like you bought a Domain Name, but haven't gotten Hosting set up yet.

Are you paying GoDaddy a monthly or annual fee for Website Hosting specifically (this is totally separate from purchasing a Domain Name)?

You do not get an IP address from Dreamweaver, you get that from your Hosting Provider. It's part of your FTP credentials (username, password, root folder, domain name and IP address). You enter that information into the Servers section in DW when you Define a Site, however, some servers will use the Domain Name and others will use the IP address (you don't use both in setup). If you're unable to connect with one, try the other in the Server Address field when you define a site.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 1