• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I see both opening and closing tags

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my last version of Dreamweaver, when I clicked on an open tag such as <div> the closing </div> would also highlight. I now have 2020 version and it no longer does that. Is there a setting that will make this happen? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Thank you for sending that screenshot. I have my workstation set up with a laptop and two monitors. I had my background set to white and I was only viewing Dreamweaver on one of my large monitors. I changed it to a darker color, and I can see the code highlighting. Then I changed it back to white and moved it to my laptop monitor and I can also see the highlighting - so the problem all along was that my monitor wasn't showing the highlighting even though it was there! Thank you so much to all of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's usually caused by an error in your code (a missing start or end tag somewhere). Run the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu to get a listing of any issues in your code. If you see any missing starting tag or stray end tag style errors, they'll need to be fixed before the tag highlighting will work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an error in my code. Dreamweaver used to show me both the opening and closing tag if I clicked on one of them, but neither tag highlights anymore. I feel like it must be a setting. It was working in an older version but now it doesn't work anymore. It's helpful if you have code with multiple <div> tags and perhaps you are missing one. You click on the first <div> tag (or any opening tag) and it shows you where the corresponding closing </div> is. Dreamweaver no longer will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Validate code from Window > Results > Validation.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried it but no luck. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce it.  Tag highlighting works for me.

image.png

Try Restore Preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Jon and Nancy, I cannot replicate the problem. Mine works just fine.

To prove that the highlighting has not changed between versions, re-install your previous version. Both versions can be installed at the same time.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sending that screenshot. I have my workstation set up with a laptop and two monitors. I had my background set to white and I was only viewing Dreamweaver on one of my large monitors. I changed it to a darker color, and I can see the code highlighting. Then I changed it back to white and moved it to my laptop monitor and I can also see the highlighting - so the problem all along was that my monitor wasn't showing the highlighting even though it was there! Thank you so much to all of you for trying to help me figure this out. I appreciate your efforts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines