• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create email link with subject and body text?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the email link presently my homepage. It creates an email with the subject line “Please Help Me With My Resume!"

<strong style="margin:18px;"><a href="mailto:jim@cheapfastresumes.com?subject=Please Help Me With My Resume!">jim@cheapfastresumes.com</a></strong>

Does anybody know how to have the link ALSO insert this text into the email BODY?

Hi!

Please attach your resume to this email and send it to me.

Also answer these 3 questions:

(a) Is your resume up-to-date? If not, how many more recent jobs do we need to add?

(b) What kind of job are you looking for now?

(c) What is your cellphone #? (I will send you a helpful text message.)

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Why don't you use an actual form processor instead of a mailto link?  There are plenty of plugins available to help with the form setup or you can just use a service for your forms like Hubspot (https://hubspot.com ), Typeform ( https://www.typeform.com ) , Cognito Forms ( https://www.cognitoforms.com ).

To answer your question though, yes you can do it with &body= after your subject line but to get the formatting you desire that will be complicated because your string must be encoded to produ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you use an actual form processor instead of a mailto link?  There are plenty of plugins available to help with the form setup or you can just use a service for your forms like Hubspot (https://hubspot.com ), Typeform ( https://www.typeform.com ) , Cognito Forms ( https://www.cognitoforms.com ).

To answer your question though, yes you can do it with &body= after your subject line but to get the formatting you desire that will be complicated because your string must be encoded to produce the desired result otherwise it would just be one long string of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, mailto links should never be used on today's internet.

If you don't care about your email address being harvested for spam (which it will be) the biggest issue most have is: if the user has no email client installed on their device, nothing happens when they click and you have what appears to be a broken website. Anyone who uses a browser based email portal will experience a broken link when they try to contact you. Not an ideal way to gain viewer confidence.

That being said, it's actually pretty simple to add a new line within the link code...

%0d%0a

So something along these lines would work for your email-client-installed-in-system viewers...

<strong style="margin:18px;"><a href="mailto:jim@cheapfastresumes.com?subject=Please Help Me With My Resume!&body=Hi!
%0d%0a %0d%0a
Please attach your resume to this email and send it to me.
%0d%0a %0d%0a
Also answer these 3 questions:
%0d%0a %0d%0a
(a) Is your resume up-to-date? If not, how many more recent jobs do we need to add?
%0d%0a %0d%0a
(b) What kind of job are you looking for now?
%0d%0a %0d%0a
(c) What is your cellphone #? (I will send you a helpful text message.)">jim@cheapfastresumes.com</a></strong>

...nothing will happen for the rest of your viewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, all you wonderful Adobe Community folks, who took the time to answer my "beginner" question.

I deleted the dinosaur "send to" email links.

And replaced it with a (free!) jotforms.com  form.  (They had a "contact template" already available in their form library, so I just modified it a little bit).

Here's the final product!     https://form.jotform.com/202866166812257

Again, thanks to everybody!

Jim in Toronto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the other 2 responses - the mailto: link is the last option you should be using. If you did or do you could also make the process look more professional by using 'javascript prompts' to asked the 3 questions, which will automatically generate the body of the mailto: function fully filled in and ready to send.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAILTO links have another nasty side effect.  Robots, spoofers & spammers will harvest your e-mail address and use it for their own purposes.  That's guaranteed.  Eventually your e-mail address and possibly your domain will be blacklisted for spamming -- even though you had no knowledge of it.  

You can't afford that risk.   Do the safe and secure thing.  Get a scripted contact form that supports attachments and sanitizes data before it ever lands on your server.

Start with your web host.  Ask them which form-to-email processing scripts they recommend you use.   This one on GitHub uses PHP code.

https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be interesting to see if a bot can/could crack the below:

const email = document.querySelector('.email');

const sendTo = 'emzailadzdrezss@sozmezwherze.czozm';
email.href = `mailto:${sendTo.replace(/z/g, '')}`;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an 8 year old can decipher your obfuscation pattern, some bots will too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, I'm not sufficiently excited about using 'smoke and mirrors' so it's probably not worth the time to test it out but if someone does want to use mailto: or expose just their email address on their website some form of 'smoke and mirrors' would be preferable than none at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@osgood_ 

OFF TOPIC:  Can you edit your posts now?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/edit-forum-post-still-not-fixed/m-p/11504211?page...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OFF TOPIC: Can you edit your posts now?

Oooh Ha! YA! I can - gee holy crap. I feel more in control now, not having to go over each post/reply 3 dozen times before I feel happy about posting it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines