• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to host a document (pdf/word) files on site within a webpage?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I'm looking for a simple way to implement some kind of interactive means of hosting a document (movie script) within a web page. Instead of merely pointing to a link to the document, I would like the user to be able to flip through a slightly smaller version of it on that page. And perhaps allow the user to double click for a larger version?

Any tips on techniques here would be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Here is one that works for all devices Turn.js: The page flip effect in HTML5

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing that dreamweaver can do for you here unless you want to spend the time coding yourself.  I've seen a bunch of flash ones, but just did a quick google search for "html5 pdf page flip" and came up with a decent amount of paid and free options. I would take a look through those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm loathe to recommend FlipBooks these days.  Browsers are systematically phasing out support for all 3rd party plugins.

Why do Java, Silverlight, Adobe Acrobat and other plugins no longer work? | Firefox Help

That means your media might not be accessible to everyone because they can't get the plugins necessary to view the files in their browser.   If you post a direct link to the PDF, you'll reach a lot more people. 

An interactive PDF with thumbnails and bookmarks will make a nicer user experience in Acrobat Pro or the free Acrobat Reader.   No flashy stuff required.

Page thumbnails and bookmarks in PDFs, Adobe Acrobat

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also looking for a way to embed a pdf into my blog (where I describe and depicture my personal adventurous journeys). After browsing the web and reading about all the different possibilites, I decided to embed my pdf in the form of a flipbook. So far so good.

The problem I encountered, however, was that many flipbook providers still offer flash technology. And as everyone knows flash can be blocked by specific browsers or devices or whatsoever - and this would definitely harm user experience.

As Ben M already mentioned, you can find numerous (flash free) html5 flipbook converters when googling. If you're not sure which converter to use though, I found a nice article describing different flipbook software. I tried the one that came as the author's favorite and could smoothly integrate my converted pdf publication into my blog. As of yet, I've only good things to say about it.

By the way, you can also click on the pdf publication to open the fullscreen mode.

Regards,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one that works for all devices Turn.js: The page flip effect in HTML5

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for all your tips here... and sorry for the delay! I was away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think filp books are just gimmicks.

If you have Acrobat DC, you can easily export PDF to HTML.  You'll have some code cleanup to do in DW but content is accessible in any web device.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

trying the export in Acrobat DC turned my magazine into an unrecognizable mess, It would be faster to code it from scratch than to fix what it exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines