Highlighted

How to preview in Safari (or other browsers)?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I preview a page in Safari as I used to do in cs3?

Correct answer by wmm75375203 | Community Beginner

Thanks to all the helpers! I finally got it: On a Mac, you can’t right-click on this one (as you can on everything else). When you control-click on the little square above the file name, you’re there! All the browser action you want and you can test your external links.

Bill

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to preview in Safari (or other browsers)?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I preview a page in Safari as I used to do in cs3?

Correct answer by wmm75375203 | Community Beginner

Thanks to all the helpers! I finally got it: On a Mac, you can’t right-click on this one (as you can on everything else). When you control-click on the little square above the file name, you’re there! All the browser action you want and you can test your external links.

Bill

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 25, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at How to preview web pages in Dreamweaver and scroll down to 'Open in browser'

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Dead end: I go to file>open recent - and the page I want comes up. Good. Then, with the design view and code view showing, I go to file>realtime preview - then choose a browser and a black page with a sad face reads, “You tried to access an external HTML page which cannot….etc.” I need a step-by-step guide. It used to be so easy in cs3!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget Real-Time Preview.  Use Right-Click on tab and select Open in Browser. CC-Preview-in-browser.jpg

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, like me, you simply can't get the Real Time Preview to work correctly, there is a way to put Open in Browser (the old Preview in Browser) as the default when you hit F12...

1. Close DW and go to...

Windows: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

Mac: Applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

(I think, I don't have a Mac to test)

2. Open the file "PIB_Dynamic.js"

2a. As always, make a backup in case something goes sideways. Add _old at the end of the back-up's file name.

3. Search for the text "dw.browseDocument". There are 3 spots with that code, but the first two are just comments. The right one should be on or about line 433, and change the text "isPIB" to "true"

The finished line of code will look like...

dw.browseDocument(dw.getDocumentPath('document'),theBrowser, "-1"/*help argument*/, false /*use temp doc*/, true);

4. Save the file to your desktop

5. Drag the file into the original location from Step 1. You will be prompted for your Admin credentials in order to make the copy/replacement

From now until you update DW again, Open in Browser (from your desktop) will be used instead of Real Time Preview (with Adobe's servers).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy, for the prompt reply! I can’t find any screen or image that matches your suggestion. My computer is a new iMac with High Sierra. Is that a Microsoft image shown in your link?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jon. Your suggestion is probably well worth a try. But I’ll wait a bit longer to see if there isn’t a more direct and less dangerous-seeming one to try first.

Bill

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Win10.  But Contextual Menus are not unique to Windows.   

Did you define your local site folder?

What are you seeing when you right click on the open document tab?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again! All of the set-up work (SFTP and so on) has been done. A newly-changed page was created and, since the code view seemed OK, “put” without preview. I got away with it and the link worked. It’s the links especially that I like to preview. (Otherwise the pages look OK in all browsers - just like the design view.)

When I right-click on “file>open” or file>open recent” nothing happens. I can’t find the word “untitled” or anything yet that seems to respond usefully to right-clicking.

Bill

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, no.  Open an HTML document.

Then, right click on the tab above where it says Source Code.  See screenshot.  Your document may have a different filename than mine.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting warm! I did open a page and right-click on a spot that corresponds to your very different-looking image and a similar menu opened up. Sure enough, “Open in Browser” appeared. But no R.- or L.-clicking on it worked. It just sits there. Maybe High Sierra is just buggy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting warm! I did open a page and right-click on a spot that corresponds to your very different-looking image and a similar menu opened up. Sure enough, “Open in Browser” appeared. But no R.- or L.-clicking on it worked. It just sits there. Maybe High Sierra is just buggy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mouseover, the Open in Browser item should show a 2nd contextual menu with a list of your available browsers. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Yes, I was expecting that, but the menu doesn’t show up. You click on it and nothing happens. It’s another dead end so far. Maybe High Sierra is at fault. I think safety upgrades often ride roughshod over existing apps. At least it’s safe. Kind of like the Baghdad Green Zone in, say, 2005. It’s safe - but it’s hard to enjoy it.

Bill

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dialog box appears. I think a long hold on the phone to India is going to be required. If they uninstall - then install - the whole Creative Cloud, will I have to set up the (now perfect) SFTP connection all over again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2018 0
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to Sync your settings to the Cloud first.   That way, you can import them after re-installing.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2018 0
Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Safari set-up in your Preferences?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2018 1