Highlighted

How to visually build a Responsive Layout

Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have seen many discussions that Dreamweaver does not have a WYSIWYG capability for designers to create a website in the same manner as Muse. Without going into the pros and cons of Muse, the general idea of designers being able to produce a website without coding has had its limitations. This is despite programs like Pinegrow, Wix and ilk becoming more and more popular. Because of this, Dreamweaver has fallen out of favour.

Why am I saying this? Because DMXzone have come with a renewed product that will assist you to create a website using Dreamweaver without having to code. Have a look at Building a Responsive Layout with Bootstrap 4 Version 2 - YouTube to see how it is done.

For more information and how to get a discount (until 6th March) go to the DMXzone site.

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to visually build a Responsive Layout

Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have seen many discussions that Dreamweaver does not have a WYSIWYG capability for designers to create a website in the same manner as Muse. Without going into the pros and cons of Muse, the general idea of designers being able to produce a website without coding has had its limitations. This is despite programs like Pinegrow, Wix and ilk becoming more and more popular. Because of this, Dreamweaver has fallen out of favour.

Why am I saying this? Because DMXzone have come with a renewed product that will assist you to create a website using Dreamweaver without having to code. Have a look at Building a Responsive Layout with Bootstrap 4 Version 2 - YouTube to see how it is done.

For more information and how to get a discount (until 6th March) go to the DMXzone site.

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 04, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

That can only be good for DW and Adobe, it might just save it from total oblivion. It has been on life support for a number of years and going backwards in terms of other products available.

You might need more than just a Bootstrap layout tool these days to produce a website by todays standards. Its something which should have happened 6 years ago at the time Bootstrap was introduced into DW. Ah well, always playing catch up as the next evolution has already taken hold, that'll always be the way in this game.

Lets just keep our finger crossed that users don't ever need to go into the code to change, manage or add anything - same old Bootstrap, an extension unfortunately won't make the code any more palatable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting video/extension Ben, but I still think creating layouts is shown as being more complex than it needs to be, especially considering that flexbox is used.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

An interesting video/extension Ben, but I still think creating layouts is shown as being more complex than it needs to be, especially considering that flexbox is used.

Grid 88% usage Globally. I forget at what Global percentage I started using flex. It just suddenly arrived.

You were using it way before me and I was using way before anyone here using Bootstrap because Bootstrap is always at least 2-3 years behind the curve.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Mentor ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were using it way before me and I was using way before anyone here using Bootstrap because Bootstrap is always at least 2-3 years behind the curve.

We released Harmony in early May of 2017 - nearly 2 years ago. Our plan was always to give each of the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, iOS Safari, Desktop Safari, and Edge) at least 3 releases to get on the same page. We then wrote a simple script to automatically switch to a floated equivalent for non-compliant browsers. To us, its always been important to take browser support out of the equation for our customers, who we think are a true representation of the typical Dreamweaver user. But we look at things quite a bit differently than the average extension developers. Ease of management is far more important to our customers, and hence to us.

In any event, the average Dreamweaver user now has 2 (1)  choices for page layout tools, and choice is always good. It's also a bit refreshing that Ben has felt comfortable in unabashedly promoting an extension, because therein lay the power of Dreamweaver.

(1) Actually, if you include manual coding, the user, of course, has a third choice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

You are probably right, but because Bootstrap is being used, it dictates the construction of the document, namely wrapper (container), row and column(s).

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
pziecina LATEST
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

... but because Bootstrap is being used, it dictates the construction of the document, namely wrapper (container), row and column(s).

I think that is probably the problem these days, and just like your post about Adobe Target, it demonstrates the target audience of Adobe as being designers, which means terms and layouts are created/used as required by designers who do not wish to learn code or what is possible using css.

I do wonder though how much life is left in Dw.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
Guide ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Though I have to say that the GUI leaves something to be desired and the pricing rather expensive when compared to Pinegrow - which would give the user access to a whole bunch of css front-end grids, and many more templates, as well as a more intuitive GUI.

That said, I imagine having an integrated extension in DW has its advantages - in particular server side code support, which is pretty bad in Pinegrow.

Good to see continued support for DW development and fresh competition.

*edit* I checked out the docs and watched that video one more time, and it looks quite impressive what they have done. Kudos to them. Nice work, and good news for DW users wanting a quick BS prototyping solution and Adobe users looking for a Muse alternative (up to a point).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 1