• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't use Dreamweaver's FTP (was: FTP)

Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST I want to simply, more than anything, just be able to use Dreamweaver as a way to download the front end of my production site files and upload them to a staging site.

First I synchronize the local files with remote files. I only want to "get" newer files. The site is huge but it doesn't have so many changes that it should take so dang long. Is Dreamweaver just horrible for this? Should I just give up on Dreamweaver all together?

If I can't merely use dreamweaver for FTP then I can't imagine even beginning to try to use it for anything else. I've been using Adobe products for 20 years. There was a time when I liked dreamweaver ok, small, simple static sites. For several years now I just don't use it. As soon as I start to the first thing I always do is try to FTP a site I already have and it ALWAYS HANGS UP OR TAKES FOREVER.

So, right now I'm just miserable. I have way too much to do to be hung up on this. I don't want to back up EVERYTHING EVERYTIME WHEN i ALREADY HAVE IT ALL ACCEPT A FEW FILES. WHY CAN'T THIS JUST WORK RIGHT.

I hate the cloud. I have a simple workflow that I've been using for years. I don't need to do anything new and keep paying for things I'm not using and updates I don't care about. I guess I just need to get away from adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Neofilm  wrote

In case you didn't get it, I don't care if you care or not about what I use. I am here to complain....

Fair enough.  You've complained at length to a user-to-user forum.  I hope you feel better now .  

For what it's worth, Adobe developers do not typically monitor this user forum.   If you want to log a formal bug report, please go to  Adobe Dreamweaver: Bugs

Or if you wish to seek technical assistance, please Contact Customer Care

Goodbye and best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys shouldn't even charge us for this horrible product. Search online and you'll see DW has a horrible reputation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has always been a problem and it has been accentuated through easier means of communication. Ask my GP, he once said to me that he has a depressing occupation. People always front up with problems. Nobody ever goes to him to say that he/she feels fine and make a song and dance about it. It is his feeling that all of society needs medical attention. That same GP once said to me that I should not lift my arm after I told him that it hurts when i lift my arm.

Perhaps in the same manner we should tell you not to use Dreamweaver to FTP, maybe Filezila will suit you better. You could also ask yourself about the silent majority who do not come here to complain about Dreamweaver's FTP. As for the cloud, if it wasn't for my sore arm I'd be reaching for it with both hands.

As a side note: this is a user2user forum and we have no official binding to Adobe.

Edit: Forgot to add, if you want assistance to use FTP in Dreamweaver, please let us know and we will see if can help. Be specific so that we do not have to ask questions to and fro.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, assistance with FTP? really? I mean, are our expectations for FTP that enigmatic? Should I have to use a third party for ftp? That like going to school and saying we're not going to have a classroom, you have to go somewhere else for a classroom. Or going out to eat and them saying, well, we don't have plates. Or booking a flight and realizing they don't have an airport. Or... See, I wouldn't go back to that school, restaurant, airline.

As for your GP, you should try a plant based one, they actually care and know/implement treatments and how to prevent your inflammation from building in your rotator cuff, or they can at least ameliorate it. And as a result you will be significantly happier and be more inclined to give your new GP good feedback and making their job rewarding; rather than depressing like your existing SAD GP. 

Analogies aside, I want to do three things with FTP (isn't that really all we all want to do?). I want to "put", "get", and sync so I don't have to put/get things already put/got. This SHOULD work perfectly, after all, how many years have they been toying with DW?

Unfortunately this is a dreadful task so much so that I don't want to use Dreamweaver. It may offer a 100 things but if I can't get past step 1 then I'm most likely not going to move onto step 2. I'll try another route.

I mostly just felt I needed to come here and complain. You say it has been an issue and accentuated through easier means of communication. Well, I am not sure what you're implying here. Easier as in nicer? After a while paying month after month for issues gets old. I'm getting old and don't really want to keep dealing with it. First there was the new 2019 version of everything that just rolled out. And, like always, there's problems (with premiere and now DW hanging up). And, like always, I didn't even want to update it, but I'm paying for it, so I did. I would have been fine with 2016 version.

This is an adobe forum. They do (at least better) look through it. At least I have seen "adobe" people comment before. So, maybe they'll here this and step up their game. But, most likely they wont and this will be a waste of time. Not entirely though, I like to bitch before I ditch something. So, this is my way of saying at least I tried and at least I said something...

I ONLY use Dreamweaver (well, try to) because I pay for this cloud crap to use other programs. So, I'm paying for DW and figured I should be able to use it. Yes, cloud is crap. There absolutely should be a version of programs like premiere, photoshop, etc... that we can just pay for and be done with. My line of work does not require that most recent version of any of these programs. My career does not change every day or even every year for that matter. I've been paying for it since they started it. Yet, all I really want to do is use three programs and I DON'T NEED THEM TO CHANGE anymore than I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO KEEP PAYING FOR SOMETHING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER... Sorry, I don't get to vent about this enough....

As a business owner I take pride in my work. I could not continue to do it otherwise. I would not take money from people and then give them shit in return. This would seem wrong to me. So far DW is exactly that, shit. In fact, most forums outside of here that I've looked at are consistent with this, stating DW is not at all a professional tool. Yet they charge as if it is.

I love my PC and don't want to move to mac, but adobe is forcing me in that direction. dread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neofilm  wrote

I love my PC and don't want to move to mac, but adobe is forcing me in that direction. dread.

I don't know why you should think changing from windows to a mac would make any difference. If you look through forum posts mac users tend to have many more problems with ftp than windows users.

What you are saying is nothing new to this forum, and many users have expressed the same concerns and feelings about Dw and CC in general over the years, so all we can say or advise is alternatives such as using dedicated ftp alternatives.

No one from the Dw team can say anything other than, contact customer support, or ask you to register you problems as bugs using the feedback option under the 'help' menu item in Dw. They may also ask you to send them a message with your contact details, so that they can try and diagnose what is happening with your installation personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the PC to Mac comment was more about switching to final cut so I can get away from premiere. Final cut has a one time payment option. The money I would save over the years would easily compensate for the more expensive machine. And I wouldn't have to deal with updates disrupting my workflow.

It's just an idea really, not sure if I'm ready for the jump...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neofilm  wrote

Thanks, the PC to Mac comment was more about switching to final cut so I can get away from premiere.

That's irrelevant to this forum.   We don't care which video editor you use. 

What is relevant:

• Who is your web host? 
  • Is this a shared hosting plan?
    • If yes, how many other sites are you sharing your server with?
  • How many files are you trying to download in one session?
  • Are you having the same time out problems with a dedicated FTP/SFTP client like Filezilla?
  • Tell us a little about your internet connection, carrier, speed, etc...
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you didn't get it, I don't care if you care or not about what I use. I am here to complain. You'll get over it. I think what editor I use is relevant to adobe and whether you like it or not adobe owns this forum, you're just using it for whatever reason, really I don't care about that either.

As for what you think is relevant, of course those things are relevant to resolving the issue. But, another thing I absolutely don't care about is being a free beta tester. For the record I'm using virtual private server that is rock solid awesome fast. The hose is Jaguar PC.

As for how many files, this is irrelevant, it's inconsistently downloading files. I only selected "get newer" and it gets way more than newer. And then when it's done, IF IT DOESN'T LOCK UP, I try it again just to see if it got all the new ones and, oh, there's new ones again?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? It's insanely stupid. I honestly think they have morons testing their products. Many years ago I inquired directly with someone pretty high up in Adobe regarding a different product, premiere. I was like, "do they test this on large projects, you know, like something someone would actually use this for?" and they clearly DO NOT. So, this is why rendering was out of control unpredictable.

If they want to give me a free cloud subscription I'll reconsider being a beta tester. Otherwise, this is absolutely stupid making a customer pay outrageous monthly fees and for a constantly faulty product and then expecting them to be a beta tester for free? no

Oh, I pay extra for extra internet bandwidth using Spectrum. The problem is not on my end. I only happens with DW and it happens way too often with DW garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neofilm  wrote

In case you didn't get it, I don't care if you care or not about what I use. I am here to complain....

Fair enough.  You've complained at length to a user-to-user forum.  I hope you feel better now .  

For what it's worth, Adobe developers do not typically monitor this user forum.   If you want to log a formal bug report, please go to  Adobe Dreamweaver: Bugs

Or if you wish to seek technical assistance, please Contact Customer Care

Goodbye and best of luck to you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines