• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

images not found eror message in dreamweaver 2017

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im new to dreamweaver 2017 so a complete novice, I was tasked with updating website after someone came in and designed our website using dreamweaver back in 2013, and I had successfully added text and images before in dreamweaver 2015, however I must stress im not a web designer and am not familiar with coding or HTML I basically just copy the coding that the designer set up on the original website in 2013 and unfortunately can no longer contact this person.

im now trying to change a image on one of the HTML web pages, i have copied the original files from the ftp onto a memory stick and have opened the HTLM page from the memory stick but no images appear in either design view or live view even though I have also copied the images folder over onto the memory stick, when I hover over the code for the image it states image not found

the strange thing is I can add an image from the memory stick onto the html page but cannot change an image, please can someone help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Can you open an html file and attempt to insert an image?

Insert>Image

When the dialogue box opens make sure 'Relative to' is set to 'Document'

See if that does anything

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you defined a site in Dreamweaver? ie Site>New Site>Fill in the boxes and browse out to where your site folder is located.

Make sure when you copy the files from the remote ftp source to your local site folder the naming convention for the files and the folders are exactly the same.

Probably not the best idea to work directly on a memory stick, copy the files/folder to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, many thanks for your response.

im really sorry im a complete novice, have never had any coding experience or designing within dreamweaver experience, was basically shown briefly what to do by the original designer back in 2013 so everything you said i don't really understand, am basically in over my head, I have changed text before but again this was basically just copying what was done on the original website, I can add an image it lets me do that and it shows the image I have just added, it just doesn't show the original images or allow me to change them.

I will try and figure out the site definition could I ask would the site folder be the memory stick im using, sorry to ask but like I said complete novice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amandac16675885  wrote

Hello, many thanks for your response.

im really sorry im a complete novice, have never had any coding experience or designing within dreamweaver experience, was basically shown briefly what to do by the original designer back in 2013 so everything you said i don't really understand, am basically in over my head, I have changed text before but again this was basically just copying what was done on the original website, I can add an image it lets me do that and it shows the image I have just added, it just doesn't show the original images or allow me to change them.

I will try and figure out the site definition could I ask would the site folder be the memory stick im using, sorry to ask but like I said complete novice

The way I read it is you have somehow downloaded the entire current website files via ftp?

You have saved them in a folder on a memory stick?

If that is true then copy the folder from the memory stick onto your computer.

Open Dreamweaver and define a new site as per the instructions in the previous post:

Site>New Site>Fill in the boxes and browse out to where your site folder is located.

IF all the files and folders in the folder you have on your memory stick are named exactly the same as those on the ftp remote location where you downloaded them from then your local website should work.

Have you done things like open the images folder and double checked that the images are actually in the folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Many thanks for your advise

I tried copying it onto my computer, then defining the site, but this still didn't work, it brought up the message css not on local disk, I tried the get instruction and it brings up site not defined message, so I even copied the page im trying to alter as its own separate folder on my computer and defined this as a site and it still didn't work .

I tried refreshing, coming out of dreamweaver and going back in, i also copied the files direct from ftp onto my comouter and defined the site again but nothing seems to solve the image not found problem.

I have checked the images folder and they are all there, the images display when I open them, they just don't display on dreamweaver

the system im using is windows and we have just had a security update / new firewall etc added could this have any effect at all on images not displaying within dreamweaver 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open an html file and attempt to insert an image?

Insert>Image

When the dialogue box opens make sure 'Relative to' is set to 'Document'

See if that does anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hello, tried the method above and it inserted the new image

I just copied the height and width from the original image renamed the new image title as the old one and deleted the old code,  this seemed to work and the new image is now showing in design view and live view.

I guess I will just have to do this method for all my other images so they show on dreamweaver, its long winded but at least it works

thank you so much for your help and advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines