• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing content into pages created from a .dwt

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to import my content, (text, images, videos and links) that will all be styled the same way on every page, into new pages that I create from a single .dwt?

For example say I have a site about animals and I have all of the above content about different animals it is similar in format but the words and pictures are different and they link to different things. I have lots of text and several different pictures with captions that would take a long time to manually enter page by page. Does DW have an import function that would help me do this?

Using DW CC in Windows 10

Thank you,

Amy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

A web page is an HTML document which in turn is interpreted by the browser to render the page. Word and Excel do not contain HTML elements unless they have been saved as an HTML document. Even then, the thus created document will contain many elements that are not required for a web page and that cannot be interpreted by the browser.

Conclusion, the cumbersome method is the most trusty way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Creating a DWTemplate is the 1st phase of your project, not the last one.   In other words, you create a dummy page with regions for sitewide content (common header, footer, navigation, etc...) then save as a Template.dwt file.  You add Editable Regions for content that will change from page to page and save it.

Close Template.

Go to File > New > Site Templates.  Select your template.dwt and hit Create button to spawn a child page.   From there you can copy & paste content into the Editable Regions.  Save child page.  Repeat for other site pages.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have been unclear. I understand how to create my template. Now that I have it. My question is can I somehow other than copy and pasting or typing in the code, get the content into the editable regions? Maybe like using a spreadsheet or a table in a word document to import the image paths into the image regions and all the text into the paragraphs and all the headings into the .<h> tags and so on.

Each page will have the same layout, hence the template, but each one will have different text and images. I have several pages to create and it will be cumbersome to copy and paste every page. I want to know if these items can some how be imported into the pages I create from the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A web page is an HTML document which in turn is interpreted by the browser to render the page. Word and Excel do not contain HTML elements unless they have been saved as an HTML document. Even then, the thus created document will contain many elements that are not required for a web page and that cannot be interpreted by the browser.

Conclusion, the cumbersome method is the most trusty way.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your content is in a server-side database, you could program your template with PHP code to dynamically populate pages.  But there is no import feature to speak of and thus no way to do what you want in static HTML files.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines