• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert panel greyed out in live view when editing templates

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a new website (made a few before in Dreamweaver) and created 2 bootstrap templates myself (I created the pages as regular html files until they looked as I wanted, and then saved them as templates with one editable region on each of them). Now I am making new pages based on these templates and of course changes need to be made to the templates as well. However, the insert panel is greyed out in live view when editing a template ... Also inserting through the insert menu is not working. Am I missing the point here? I do hope I am doing something wrong, and that this isn't the way it should work ...

TOPICS
Bootstrap , Error , How to , Interface , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please switch from Live to Design in your document toolbar when editing Template.dwt files.  See screenshot. 

Document ToolbarDocument Toolbar

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but in Preview it is a mess and quite difficult to see what you are doing. Adobe is advertising the fact that you can insert bootstrap elements in live view. Then isn’t it weird that that does not go for editing templates?

(Sent from my iPhone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because DW Templates have a long history.  Long before Live view and long before Bootstrap were introduced.  If you can't work in Code/Design view, don't use Templates.  I never use them.  I prefer server-side includes over Templates every day of the week.

https://alt-web.blogspot.com/2015/07/server-side-includes-with-php.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems that inserting bootstrap components in design view doesn't seem to work either, not through the insert panel, and not through the menu. The only difference is that the items are not greyed out anymore, you can click them, but then the following message appears: "Dreamweaver supports Bootstrap-based responsive web design in Live view. Switch to Live view to use Bootstrap".  I find that weird. They show you a message telling you what to do, but the solution they give doesn't work. That templates have a long history shouldn't be an excuse.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a big fan of DW Templates.  As I mentioned above,  SSIs are better.

That said,  workflows matter a lot.  I think you put your cart before the horse when you prematurely saved as template. A well-crafted test page should contain everything you will need for your site:

• layout,
  • sitewide navigation,
  • headers,
  • footers,
  • forms,
  • ads,
  • scripts,
  • Bootstrap components,
  • slideshows,
  • carousels,
  • modals,
  • and any other elements that may be needed on some but not all pages.  

In other words, you haven't put enough planning and stuff into your test page to call it a template yet.   Saving as Template should be the next to last thing you do before creating child pages.  Adding Template Regions for Editable and Optional Editable content is the last thing you do.  

I hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Nancy, I appreciate your extensive replies, I really do. I had spent a month on building a nice page in html, all items you mention were included, before I saved it as .dwt. And even then it appeared to be necessary to make changes. A good suggestion to have a look at server-side includes, I will have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines