• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Intertwine two different Bootstrap Templates - is it possible and how?

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a nice, professional bootstrap template which I have edited images and vocabulary with; created multiple pages, etc. Now I would like to add a page in which I would like to add a nice calendar on (for others, you may want to add to/include other things). But lets say we search for a bootstrap add-on but would like to keep our original site to have the same general format as the rest of the pages...you know, to keep the same custom style.

Well that's where I'm at now with the calendar I found HERE where I attained a zip file supplying me with the CSS, JavaScript, a LESS file and an index. What I'd like to do with it is "insert" the index file into a renamed version of my main template (calendar.html), probably edit around a little bit and go from there. But is this possible? And if so, how should I go about the process because when I opened the calendar's index many source codes had the same names and source codes which already exist in the original/basetemplate. And in the calendar's folder, it's CSS file is "style.css" so I imagine I would have to rename that too, right?

Any ideas or how-to I'm open to hear

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Still not quite correct

and

The last two lines still need deleting.

As far as the data goes for the Calendar, this is most awkward. The data comes from index.js where event names and descriptions (slipsum) are presented as an array and the dates have been allocated at random. Without going into it too deeply, I am not sure how this data is transferred to the calendar. The source of the calendar is 5 years old and there seems to be no documentation or support.

Personally I would use the Google Calendar API

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backup your site files just in case things go south.

I suggest creating a new document with just your calendar on it to make sure it works in all devices.  Once that is certain, you can combine it with your Bootstrap site.   You probably want to keep the calendar styles in their own CSS file (calendar.css) in case you decide to change it later.   Ditto for any other calendar assets.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing.   If your calendar requires Bootstrap and jQuery, make sure the versions are the same as your Template.  You cannot mix Bootstrap 3 with Bootstrap 4 or have jQuery 1 running with jQuery 3 scripts.

See also

Bootstrap Year Calendar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy. Ok I went through the process in just making a calendar page and it came out nice. Then I did a little editing and it looked pretty much like what I want it to consist of. The secret you told me which means the most is CHANGING (or re-naming) THE CSS AND JAVASCRIPT FOLDERS so they don't get mixed up with the other template's folders. That was the secret I was looking for the most.

Now I have one major problem left: how can I make changes to notes within the calendar itself? Here is the page

I created. At the website

I found the template it didn't say anything or explain how to do that! The guy who made this - his name is Bill Barry - I can't find but would love to know what should to be done to adjust notes on it. I did find a huge hunk of the notes on the index.js but it looks like a total mess and out of control back there

mess.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't paste one document into another one and expect it to work right.  Fix your code errors.

Showing results for http://www.c4consciouscommunity.com/workshop.html - Nu Html Checker

You have duplicate <body>  <head> tags, too many bootstrap libraries and too many jQuery libraries in your document.  To further complicate matters the Bootstrap and jQuery versions are not the same.  You are using 3.7 for layout and 3.2 for calendar.  You may use one or the other, not both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I though my main bootstrap layout was a 3.2 just by checking out some of the source codes. Is it no doubt not going to work - after removing all the head/body tags, making adjustments, etc.(?) That'd be a bummer. How am I able to search and find the exact version of each template i discover? I'm upset knowing I wasted my time installing the wrong version - even if I messed-up a lot and had to fix a lot of the code errors after making a lot of adjustments.

Before going back to this page and finding a new calendar I assume I need to focus first on learning on finding out how to detect the exact version (3.7 for me) of a downloaded script...so I'd love to know that first if I was wrong on that. So exactly how do I detect a bootstrap's version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basic rule is that you can link to just one version of a framework per document.

Looking at Conscious Community, I see the following

• Bootstrap CSS is loaded on lines 29, 39, 126 and 127
  • Bootstrap JS is loaded on lines 41, 299 and 400
  • jQuery JS is loaded on lines 40, 298 and 399

This is will be problematic for the browser to decide which one to use. I suggest that you use the latest version of each of these frameworks, namely the highlighted line and delete the other lines.

Be careful though, not to mix markup from Bootstrap 3.* with markup from Bootstrap 4.*, this will lead to problems.

To see the version of Bootstrap, just open the CSS or JS file as in  https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.7/css/bootstrap.min.css, and view the first line.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked out all my source codes along the top and no official Bootstrap codes went over a 4. So I assume I'm safe. I also deleted all the "old" bootstrap css's, js's and jQuery js's you noted and surprisingly (for me) no differences were made to the layout of the site .  might go back to other pages and do the same.

So the page still looks how I want it but I'm back to a major issue: how can I edit the calendar now to fit the site? I'm referring to specific business events - not the ones the calendar purposely demonstrated along with the installation because it serves no purpose. I tried to cut/delete events already there on the screen but was unable to. I went to index.js which in a previous imagine/screen shot showed a lot of the items on the screen currently. I figure there has to be a semi-simple way to adjust the title, time and description of each event, right? Any simple ways to click on the day, enter the event/time and BAM it works???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not quite correct

and

The last two lines still need deleting.

As far as the data goes for the Calendar, this is most awkward. The data comes from index.js where event names and descriptions (slipsum) are presented as an array and the dates have been allocated at random. Without going into it too deeply, I am not sure how this data is transferred to the calendar. The source of the calendar is 5 years old and there seems to be no documentation or support.

Personally I would use the Google Calendar API to show a calendar on my site (haven't had to as yet), but you could also embed a Google calendar as per Add a Google calendar to your website - Calendar Help or Google the subject.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the web a 5+ year old widget is probably aged out and no longer fit for purpose.

I don't know how this calendar is intended to be used.  Is it merely an events calendar or are site visitors supposed to actually interact with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to the both of you for the replies. , the purpose of the calendar was simply to post events so the visitors of the site can simply "see what's going on" and when, if that makes sense. Not so visitors can interact or anything like that.

Considering the calendar I was trying was 5 years old AND was giving me a hard time in figuring out how to post events, I went with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines