• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is a link text or source code

Advocate ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For find and replace Is a link text or source code?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are editing any code, you always search for source code.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both answers are confusing for such a simple question. For sitewide find and replace

A typlical link like, www.shoes.com etc correct drop-down choice is text? not code.  Pity in the dropdown not choice called link.

There is sitewide link change but it seems to be broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While "code" is just text, the "text" that the Find & Replace tool is talking about is "html text that would display in the browser".

For example, here's some code...

<a href="http ://www.yoursite.com" alt="some text here">This is my link</a>

The above code has a link and "text". If you search "text" the "This is my link" is the only information DW is looking at. The link itself is part of the code but would not be considered "text" by the F&R tool because it's not displayed on your page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JON, hard to understand but then you include all the hppt ahred stuff in find and replace? and put code not text?

I have another post going on why my sidewide link changer is not working but never got an answer to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically put, if you search "Text", then it will search only what appears when looking at the document in a browser (ie, the content, not the code formatting the content.)

If you search "Source Code", then you will search EVERYTHING in the document.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

larry4545  wrote

I have another post going on why my sidewide link changer is not working but never got an answer to that.

If you mean this discussion DW says no links, can't find when hundreds , you never gave us any examples of what you're trying to change.

There are lots of suggestions in the discussion but there's no indication as to whether you tried them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, sitewide link replace I get this box:

It used to work am I doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.01.30 PM.jpg

change all Links to:  I put in the old link I dont want anymore, and the new link I now want I put into "into Links to:   And always now it says no links were found, even though there might be in the site 500 links.

Now: Why does it say Change all Links to for the field for old Links, Shouldn't say Change all Link From?  Still lost on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's as far as we got in the last discussion in the other thread.

Best not to mix discussions. Continue that discussion in that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy others, some progress I did find for this:  on one page only as test

<a href="http://www.website.com/contact.htm"

in source code, for current document, and replaced it with new contact page, great.

But when I do find for whole site (and there are hundreds), DW, says no documents found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

404 File Not Found.  Please don't post bogus links here.  If you must cite an example. use example.com which is a deidcated example URL.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, I always though website.com is self evident as an example, but I'll try to remember to use example.com   That said, no ideas on issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked at your website and the Contact page has a different URL than what you're searching for.  It's located 2 subfolders below your site root and the filename is index.php.  Also it appears to be a WordPress site although it is not located in your blog folder.

https:// www / example.com / folder_name / contact / index.php

I can only conclude that you're asking Dreamweaver to search for a link that does not exist in your local site folder.  Also, Find & Replace cannot search your remote site.   It can only search local files & folders.

That's the best I can do right now.  I'm working on a deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, thanks you have it backwards, the wordpress once is the new one I want it to change to.

The old one, which there are hundreds, is www.myname.com/contact.htm

Again, like the sitewide link too that is now not working, the find finds this contact on one current page, but then I do site and it says, no documents found. So now the workaround is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced that those links exist in your local site folder.   But if you're concenred that your old contact page is receiving lots of inbound traffic from somewhere,  you can redirect the old contact page to your new one.

Add this to the <head> tag of your old contact.htm page.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL='https://www.example.com/folder_name/contact/index.php'" />

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google can consider this as a 302... so if that way is used, I will consider a better approach using an htaccess for a permanent redirection instead...

if the http-equiv is used sor the canonical url approach will be a plus... don't you think ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are very fruity workarounds for a broken software.

1) change sitewide links no longer works

2) even find and replace does not work.

Why I have no idea.

Limitations of a forum. Without real customer support where they can do a screenshare and see with ones own eyes.

I can send you PM so see the hundreds of inner pages with the old contact page, if you want to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You claim DW is broken.  Indeed, it may be.  But the fact that DW cannot see the links tells me there is more here than meets the eye.  But we don't know what that is. 

• Can you please copy & paste entire code from one of the pages containing a link to contact.htm? 
  • Did you use DW Templates or Library Items when building this site?
  • Do you still have the Template?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nancy,

DW does find the link and replace it good with a single page up, but wont do the whole site -- Then says cannot find anything

Sitewide links find/ replace, used to work great, does not work.

I never used Template, site was created by designer 20 years ago, is now a hybrid html and wordpress, but have hundreds of htmls still.

May finally shop for a DW replacement, I got a few recommendations from a past post..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source code:   <a href="http://www.example.com">Some Link</a>

Text   "Some Link"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,  thanks, but it's confusing as your answer is all jumbled on one line.

You are saying  both could work?

Source code:   <a href="http://www.example.com

you need to put for some reason the <a href?

or

Text

>Some Link</a>

text need to add brackets.?

Won't work with just

http: www.website.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing jumbled about Nancy's reply. It's clear and precise.

Do you understand what source code is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

larry4545  wrote

Nancy,  thanks, but it's confusing as your answer is all jumbled on one line.

I post directly to the web forum which looks fine.  Email jumbles code.  Don't read email copies of forum posts.

Won't work with just

http: www.website.com

Probably not.  That URL is incomplete.   It's missing the slash slash after colon.  Unless your code actually contains incomplete URLs, F&R won't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use Nancy OShea​'s example:

<a href="http://www.example.com">Some Link</a>

If you do a TEXT search for "www.example.com", you won't find it.  If you do a SOURCE CODE search for "www.example.com", you will find it.

If you do a TEXT search for "Some Link", you will find it.  If you do a SOURCE CODE search for "Some Link", you will also find it because it's part of the source code.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Wolf Shade's advice, If you are wanting to change the link code (the HREF or a class name, for instance) perform your search in Code View.

If all you want to do is change the link text, then do your Find in Design View.

Tip: Use pure Code View or Pure Design View for a more stable experience, especially when finding/replacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines