• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Portfolio an asset for a tech college course I'm about to start?

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually is a Portfolio question, but since I found no way to ask about Portfolio. Dreamweaver seemed the closest of the offered choices.

Specific question: I have a student subscription to the Creative Suite. I begin a tech college course in WordPress in a couple weeks. The course requires hosting with a WordPress install. Will Portfolio or something else within the Create Suite give me hosting and allow me to install WordPress on it?

I am 78 years of age. Embarked on a new "career" donating print and web work to nonprofit agencies in Appleton, Wisconsin, USA. Agencies including regular work for LEAVEN. There are questions I would like to ask Adobe about how Adobe components may be able to help me in this work. Is there a particular phone number I can call?

Chuck Miller

chuckmiller@new.rr.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Hi Chuck,

Happy 2018 and welcome to the Dreamweaver user-to user forum.

#1 No. Adobe Portfolio is a closed portal hosted on Adobe's servers.  As users, we have no control over the source code or which software Adobe uses on those servers. 

#2 You will need to find outside commercial web hosting that supports WordPress -- a shared or VPS Linux/Apache plan with  PHP & MySQL databases. 

Adobe doesn't do career counseling.  They sell software.  If you have questions about the products, please feel to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

Happy 2018 and welcome to the Dreamweaver user-to user forum.

#1 No. Adobe Portfolio is a closed portal hosted on Adobe's servers.  As users, we have no control over the source code or which software Adobe uses on those servers. 

#2 You will need to find outside commercial web hosting that supports WordPress -- a shared or VPS Linux/Apache plan with  PHP & MySQL databases. 

Adobe doesn't do career counseling.  They sell software.  If you have questions about the products, please feel to post questions in these product user forums where volunteer experts will happily try and help you.

https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually is a Portfolio question, but since I found no way to ask about Portfolio.

FYI, the Portfolio forum is here Adobe Portfolio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I field almost every question in the Portfolio Forum, I'd say this has less to do with Portfolio and more to do with WordPress.

Another option instead of WordPress would be Adobe's integrated business & hosting solution, Business Catalyst.  

Adobe Business Catalyst

Like Portfolio, the BC system is hosted & maintained on Adobe's servers but you can do so much more with it like e-commerce, customer databases, blogging, email marketing and more...  Depending on which modules you need, additional fees may apply

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Nancy.

For future reference, I was just showing the OP that a Portfolio forum exists should he need one later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. 

I think Portfolio is  good for what it's intended to do -- showcasing creative work online.   But it's not a replacement for a real website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on Nancy's answer: ideally find a hosting service that includes a control panel with an option to install applications "with one click". For example, my hosting includes a one-click install option in the control panel to install WordPress in a new directory. That means I can install WP in http://www.mydomainname.com/wordpressfoldername/ , and all the setup is done automatically, barring some basic information that I have to provide, such as the password and login.

Alternatively you could set up and install WP manually on your hosting service, but that requires some experience. I'd just choose a hosting service that includes these one-click web application installations. That should get you ready for your course.

In short, ensure the hosting you choose includes a control panel and allows you to install WordPress with that one-click install.

Adobe Business Catalyst and WordPress are sort-of mutually exclusive: if you need WordPress hosting for your tech course, you will need to look elsewhere. Adobe's hosting service is not your answer in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thoughtful replies here prompt me to offer more detail. I will try to be concise. I'm looking for two things.

1.     A hosting spot that can run WordPress for the training. Short-term.

2.    After training, that same hosting spot to run a copy of the WordPress site used by the nonprofit agency LEAVENLEAVEN Fox Cities – Just another WordPress site -- www.leavenfoxcities.org  

A state program supports me (at minimum wage rates; which is fine) in providing free graphics services to LEAVEN. LEAVEN says their website hasn't been revised in a year. They asked me if I could maintain it. I used to do simple sites in WordPress (before I "retired") so I said I would re-learn WordPress and help them with their site.

But I don't want to make changes directly on the live site. I want to have a copy of the site hosted elsewhere. That will be my place to experiment, learn, and make the revisions they ask for. After success and approval, I will upload the revisions to the real LEAVEN site.

I do that for sites on two different parades put on by the City of Appleton. It works great. But those are not WordPress sites, and I don't know if anything about WordPress will be problematic in "syncing" the review site and the real site.

It appears that I & LEAVEN can get free hosting at a host named InterServer.net. They strike my nonexpert eye as legit, and they offer a flexible free plan with no weasel restrictions. LEAVEN has the non-profit certificate they ask for as authentication. But LEAVEN, as they should, would like to know more before sharing their paperwork and the LEAVEN NAME (in some form or other) with an unknown organization that says it is offering something for nothing. If anyone has experience or opinions to offer on InterServer, I would be grateful.

Chuck M

If this is UOT -- unacceptably off topic -- I will look elsewhere for answers, probably through WordPress resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you understand, WP is nothing like a static HTML site.  It doesn't even contain any pages to edit.  It's all just fragments of PHP code and data from the MySQL dbase that get assembled by the server.  In other words, you must use the WP dashboard to edit and maintain your WP site. 

As Rayek said, you will need a local testing server with WP installed and a copy of your SQL data exported from the live server and imported into your local development environment.  For managing SQL data between servers, I use phpMyAdmin.  It comes standard on most Apache servers.  Get familiar with it.  It will be indispensable to you.

https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

be aware that exporting dats from live server and import it into a local server wont work, you'll also need to adapt all those data

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preliminary thought is to bear in mind that WordPress is a different critter. So my plan will need revising -- and may need reconsideration. I'll pursue the pointers folks have laid out in this thread (thanks again!). I'll also talk to my tech college instructor when the WP course begins later this month.

Before that, I'll ask how serious LEAVEN is about hoping I'll have WP capability. Although, weighing the results to the number of hours needed to achieve them is not a big deal. It's not an expense for LEAVEN. And re-kindling the capabilities interests me, both for LEAVEN and for my UU church, whose webmaster has moved on and whose over-worked staff has only learned to do the very minimal. Would that be dual-purposing?

I have more time than anything else, and the work is pleasant enough. (Helps me get away from media exposure to Donald Trump -- YMMV.)

No more questions here for a while. Mark it as Answered, if appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only need a quick WP hosting for your training and testing, get a free WP hosting account at

Create your free website | Altervista | Altervista

or

Free PHP and MySQL hosting, free Domain | Altervista | Altervista

It's completely free, and installs a fully functional WordPress - no limitations. Perfect for testing and training. It is also possible to create a regular hosting at altervista, with full FTP, MySQL and PHP support - all for free. The main limitation is the domain name, of course (which will be yourname.altervista.org). I have used this option with students of mine, and they had no issues.

You could even set up multiple free sites.

As for the Leaven website: ideally you would set up a local web server on your machine, and duplicate the leaven website locally. Then you'd be able to tinker around with the local version without any risk of breaking things online.

General steps (ask your teacher(s) to assist you in this if required):

1. install XAMPP or WAMP (windows only). WAMP is easier to use. WampServer Apache, MySQL, PHP
  2. install WordPress in your local host environment. This is where it gets a little bit hairier. Follow this tutorial:
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-your-windows-computer-using-wamp/
  3. install all-in-one wp migration plugin on the Leaven WP site. (you will need to login as administrator of that wp site)
    All-in-One WP Migration — WordPress Plugins
  4. Activate the plugin, and use it to backup the entire Leaven website. Download the generated zip file.
  5. Install the same all-in-one WP migration plugin in your local WP site.
  6. use the plugin to open the backup, and have it replace the contents.

Done! You will now have a mirrored copy of the Leaven site on your localhost.

Make changes to the local copy, and to upload to the (new?) host, perform the same steps. Always create a new backup before doing so, of course.

The current Leaven website is hosted at Godaddy. Click on this link to check the WHOIS information on Leaven: | ICANN WHOIS

There is in principle no need to switch to a different hosting, of course. You have been given the hosting info by your contact(s) at Leaven, I hope? You should be able to login to the Godaddy account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chuck+M  wrote

I am 78 years of age.

I wish people a quarter of your age had your initiative and determination. 😉

rayek.elfin  wrote

As for the Leaven website: ideally you would set up a local web server on your machine, and duplicate the leaven website locally. Then you'd be able to tinker around with the local version without any risk of breaking things online.

General steps (ask your teacher(s) to assist you in this if required):

1. install XAMPP or WAMP (windows only). WAMP is easier to use. WampServer Apache, MySQL, PHP
  2. install WordPress in your local host environment. This is where it gets a little bit hairier. Follow this tutorial:
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-your-windows-computer-u sing-wamp...
  3. install all-in-one wp migration plugin on the Leaven WP site. (you will need to login as administrator of that wp site)
    All-in-One WP Migration — WordPress Plugins
  4. Activate the plugin, and use it to backup the entire Leaven website. Download the generated zip file.
  5. Install the same all-in-one WP migration plugin in your local WP site.
  6. use the plugin to open the backup, and have it replace the contents.

Done! You will now have a mirrored copy of the Leaven site on your localhost.

Make changes to the local copy, and to upload to the (new?) host, perform the same steps. Always create a new backup before doing so, of course.

@chuckmiller  you might also consider Flywheel for local Wordpress Dev:  https://local.getflywheel.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines