Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is this the future of web development?

Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 14, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said before Ben, building sites visually will probably become the norm for smaller sites, (how one defines that is for each individual to decide, but I would say a site that an individual or small team could build it).

I don't think it will ever be the norm for large enterprise companies or organisations. Simply because using such pre-built components will always be behind what is possible on the client side, and will rarely be recoded on the server side, even if the code used is outdated.

Then of course one comes to the changes in accessibility, and security requirements, which large companies and organisations should keep up to date, but smaller sites tend to ignore untill the law requires implementation, (some not even then).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

As I've said before Ben, building sites visually will probably become the norm for smaller sites, (how one defines that is for each individual to decide, but I would say a site that an individual or small team could build it).

I persoanally dont think it will because there isnt a program in the marketplace yet that can do it ALL without having to code at some stage, so you are always going to have to know some code, the more the better in my opinion.

'Simple' sites are becoming a thing of the past. The simple sites of yesterday are becoming more complex as clients and the developers (pro or non-pro) are becoming more exacting without actually really knowing how to do what they require. If they soley rely on a program such as Wappler or Wix or Webflow - well you can see responses every day on their forums where the program lacks the facilities to do what is being asked. We will always be in a poistion where a push and pull, click and go environment will always be a number of steps behind what is really hapening.

Plus there is no question that coding directly into a code environment on the whole is far quicker that clicking through dozens of panels and options. Now whether the next generation or developers will accept that or not is another matter. If you dont know any different attitude.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what one thinks about Wappler or any other 'visual' environment there will always be 'developers' who want such features. The success of such apps has a lot to do with how fast any pre-built codeing environment can keep up with requirerments, and how one defines web development, which has proven to be impossible for any to do so far.

I would say that most sites for e-comm or product support users can no longer rely on a visual approach for everything, simply because the days of a one size fits all, and anything goes approach, have or are comming to an end, with end user and legal requirements rapidly catching up with the 'cowboys' who thought, (or still think) of web development as it was in the first 20 years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

No matter what one thinks about Wappler or any other 'visual' environment there will always be 'developers' who want such features.

I agree with that. They serve a specific purpose to get non-professional 'developers' over a few hurdles that they most probably would have found near impossible, before usually hurtling head first into a brick wall due to the limited functionality/options in such programs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting view, especially when one considers that the whole program is aimed at middle sized companies/businesses. It is not a new program by the way, it was first released at the end of 2014.

What I have also noticed is the number of cloud based applications that facilitate anything from user/member information to complete ERP's CMS's and real time information. API's seem to be replacing backend programming. Go to a holiday booking site and all they have are API's supplying the information that is required. Have a look at MRPeasy - MRP Software - MRP System - Manufacturing Software

I just had a look at Headless CMS | Adobe Experience Manager and I finish up with a headache. Decoupled, headless, cloud based data systems.

I am trying to figure out where I belong. Using DMXzone extensions, I am being directed into the API environment. When creating a backend for my projects the information is deposited into an API (read: JSON file) to be used by the front end. This could be classified as a decoupled system.

Anyhow, food for thought.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

I am trying to figure out where I belong. Using DMXzone extensions, I am being directed into the API environment. When creating a backend for my projects the information is deposited into an API (read: JSON file) to be used by the front end. This could be classified as a decoupled system.

Its just a trend and you go with the trend, like I'm using Vue now for most things. It's a trend and something else will arrive to replace it eventually. Just keep open about it all and deploy what you need to deploy to produce a website. If you can do it another way without being 'trendy' then do it - dont just do it because there is a movement in the dev community towards it, or against it.

I like to keep up with what is going on but for the likes of you and me who produce 'simple' sites its not critical, it just makes you feel current.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
pziecina LATEST
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

Interesting view, especially when one considers that the whole program is aimed at middle sized companies/businesses. It is not a new program by the way, it was first released at the end of 2014.

Define middle sized companies and businesses?

Angular is the js programmers equivalent of Wordpress.

BenPleysier  wrote

Anyhow, food for thought.

So many thing are being called api's now, that are not W3C api's, that the term api no longer has any real meaning. An 'application programmers interface' I would define as 'an api that is built into the browser or server', (server being database and back end).

As for where you belong as an extension user, don't know, but welcome to the club of not knowing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, its a video from 2014 and no 'professional web developer' wants to be 'boxed' into using any workflow which says you have to use 'Angular' or 'Vue' or 'React' or any other framework for that matter.

Proper web-dev will always require that bespoke coding is necessary. Anything else well that's debatable, look at Wappler, they are struggling to keep up with all the requests from non-coders, can never be done in any way shape or form which covers every non-coders disfunctional brain.

Wappler/Wa'n'kanda sounds more like they are taking the P••S out of the web-development business

Do a Google search for Wakanda. 4 years on and nothing other than relating to a ficticious country in Marvel comics. Maybe this Wakanda web development offering was also just a pipe dream.

Wakanda - Wikipedia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2019 0