• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with redirect script

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a bit of an odd one. I have a site which has been http. We recently switched to an https for it. Our hosting service has said there's no way that they can redirect it for us (even though the domains and SSL are also through them). They directed us to insert this code into our site in order to redirect it.

<script language="javascript">
if (document.location.protocol != "https:")
{
document.location.href = "
https://subdomain.yourdomain.com" + document.location.pathname;
};
</script>

The code works and the site redirects. However, when I enter the code...the page goes a bit wonky in Live View and I get one of two errors (see screen grab). The only way I can go in and make any visual changes is to switch to design mode or remove the script entirely. Any thoughts?broken.JPGbroken2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

I would use a permanent rewrite rule at the server level.

On Linux hosting, you can usually do this manually in your .htaccess  file.  Or via your server's C-panel. 

Redirecting HTTP to HTTPS Using .htaccess File: Step by Step Guide

On Windows hosting, look at your Plesk Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use a permanent rewrite rule at the server level.

On Linux hosting, you can usually do this manually in your .htaccess  file.  Or via your server's C-panel. 

Redirecting HTTP to HTTPS Using .htaccess File: Step by Step Guide

On Windows hosting, look at your Plesk Panel.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...I have since learned that the instructions my hosting site gave me was...incomplete. There's still no clear explanation as to if this code was supposed to be actually entered into the page code (though that's what they said).

They have now, as you mentioned, suggested the .htaccess file. Except that this particular hosting service has hidden or made it impossible to find said cPanel. Yeah, I've gone and talked to my IT person about switching hosting servers as he's been fighting them for other reasons.

Until then I'm stuck trying to make this mess work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or Windows?  .htaccess files are typically hidden from view on Macs (I don't know why).

But you can see them on your remote server if you're on Windows PC.

GET  the server's  .htaccess file, open and add the  rewrite rule.

Save and upload to your server's root folder.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on windows. When I asked where my cPanel was (I inherited this mess) I was told we didn't hate one and the only way I could see the .htaccess file was through an FTP client, but not all clients worked and I'd have to figure that out myself. They're super helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I've found the .htaccess file and it was empty. I got it to work with the tutorial you sent. Thanks! Sorry about the mild ranting on evil web hosts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a workaround that might do the trick for you in Live View...

Go to View > Live View Options > Hide Live View Displays
Go back into View > Live View Options > Disable Javascript
Switch From Live to Design and back again to make sure DW shows the page without the redirect

That "should" keep Live View from running your redirect javascript and allow you to see what you're doing, though you won't have the handy blue outlines around everything when you click items. From what I understand, those are also run by javascript and need to be turned off before the option to disable JS even activates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines