Highlighted

Keeping Standard Toolbar from session to session

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Dreamweaver 8, every time I close DW and open it again I have to enable the "Standard" toolbar. It disappears between sessions. I tried pinning it to the top menu bar, creating a named workspace, and searching for other options to save the screen layout. No luck anywhere.

Seems that this should be simple--saving a customized layout. Anyone know how to keep that toolbar open between sessions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keeping Standard Toolbar from session to session

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Dreamweaver 8, every time I close DW and open it again I have to enable the "Standard" toolbar. It disappears between sessions. I tried pinning it to the top menu bar, creating a named workspace, and searching for other options to save the screen layout. No luck anywhere.

Seems that this should be simple--saving a customized layout. Anyone know how to keep that toolbar open between sessions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 27, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW 8??  Really?  Or do you actually mean CC 2018? 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are you just need to clear the program cache or restore preferences. Replace occurrences of "Adobe" in the file paths with "Macromedia" if you're talking about DW8...

Deleting a corrupted cache file

Restore preferences in Dreamweaver CS4, CS5, and CS5.5

If you mean DW 2018, use this method for restoring preferences:

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 1
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's really Macromedia DW8,  there was a bug that forgot settings.  The fix was in DW 8.0.2 update.

Adobe - Dreamweaver Support Center : Updaters

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, those are still here if I'm not mistaken: Adobe - Dreamweaver Support Center : Updaters

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting cache file doesn't work.

There is no preferences file in my version.

The updater for 8.0.2 doesn't work in Win 10.

Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still a preferences file in your version (if there wasn't you'd have to start fresh with every site, setting and window location as if it were a fresh install) it's just in a different location than later versions.

It's possible the program is just too old to run correctly in a modern OS, but I'm still betting on the preference file being corrupt.

Hopefully, one of the other contributors here will remember where it was located back then and be able to point you in the right direction.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2018 0
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look here Deleting a corrupted cache file and go down to 'Earlier versions of Dreamweaver'.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have sort of found a solution. I have no idea where the "preferences" file is in my win 10 installation, but looked at the files in the configuration folder and didn't find anything looking like saved preferences. Then I looked at an old machine that ran DW8. I copied the cache file over and renamed it to the same name as the original DW installation created. When I restarted DW and imported a file to edit--there was the "standard" toolbar, right where it belonged. I saved the html doc, exited DW, and opened the doc again. The toolbar still appeared.

Looks like I'll need to hang onto that old cache file. Thanks for the suggestions, though. Made me learn a lot more about DW's operation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2018 0