Highlighted

Link Data from Excel

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a dynamic link from excel to dreamweaver and all the help I find says to select things that are not there. So my question is how do I link the values from excel into a cell in dreamweaver?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ben M | Adobe Community Professional

Personally I would try to get that data out of Excel.  Excel is great for very simple data stored in spreadsheets, but it's not a very easy thing to work with across multiple users or systems.  I did do a little research though and found this library if you wanted to build a PHP script that could read from an Excel doc ( GitHub - PHPOffice/PhpSpreadsheet: A pure PHP library for reading and writing spreadsheet files​ ).

If you wanted to move the data elsewhere, you should know Excel data does not have to live in Excel.  There is functionality to use Exteral Data Sources with Excel to connect to MS SQL, mySQL, Oracle, etc. etc.  So another option might be storing that data somewhere else in a central database and then use an external connection in Excel to query the data and the data could then also be extracted easier with a server-side language for the web server, but also accessible in Excel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Link Data from Excel

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a dynamic link from excel to dreamweaver and all the help I find says to select things that are not there. So my question is how do I link the values from excel into a cell in dreamweaver?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ben M | Adobe Community Professional

Personally I would try to get that data out of Excel.  Excel is great for very simple data stored in spreadsheets, but it's not a very easy thing to work with across multiple users or systems.  I did do a little research though and found this library if you wanted to build a PHP script that could read from an Excel doc ( GitHub - PHPOffice/PhpSpreadsheet: A pure PHP library for reading and writing spreadsheet files​ ).

If you wanted to move the data elsewhere, you should know Excel data does not have to live in Excel.  There is functionality to use Exteral Data Sources with Excel to connect to MS SQL, mySQL, Oracle, etc. etc.  So another option might be storing that data somewhere else in a central database and then use an external connection in Excel to query the data and the data could then also be extracted easier with a server-side language for the web server, but also accessible in Excel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 04, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide detail?  I'm not understanding your request.  ".. dynamic link from excel to dreamweaver.."?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the value of a cell from excel that changes daily to reflect in the cell on the webpage

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the best way to do that would be to use a server-side language (like ColdFusion) that has built-in Excel functions.

I used to think that there was no way to do it without a server-side language, but I was wrong.  I just found this SO thread that explains how you can do that using JavaScript.

Hope this helps,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You I will try that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I should have done more research before responding.  ActiveXObject will soon be deprecated, and is only supported in IE on Windows.

There are other ways of doing it, but they all involve downloading some kind of Javascript library, or jQuery plugin if you're using jQuery.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 2
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

<title>Production Tally</title>

<style type="text/css">

.cell1 {

font: 200 normal xx-large/normal "cooper-black-std";

font-size: 100px;

text-align: center;

color: brown

}

</style>

<style type="text/css">

.style {

font: 400 normal xx-large/normal cooper-black-std;

font-size: 250px;

text-transform: none;

color: brown;

}

</style>

<style type="text/css">

.style1 {

font: 400 normal medium/normal cooper-black-std;

font-size: 100px;

text-transform: none;

color: brown;

}

</style>

<!--The following script tag downloads a font from the Adobe Edge Web Fonts server for use within the web page. We recommend that you do not modify it.-->

<script>var __adobewebfontsappname__="dreamweaver"</script>

<script src="http://use.edgefonts.net/cooper-black-std:n4:default.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

</head>

<body background="cflag_025.png" bgcolor="aqua">

<header class="style">Production Tally</header>

<table align="center" width="1800" border="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th scope="col" class="style1">Days</th>

<th scope="col" class="style1">Afternoons</th>

<th scope="col" class="style1">Midnight</th>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="cell1"></td>

<td class="cell1"></td>

<td class="cell1"></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

This is what I have so far I need the info to go into the cells above

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really should be done via server-side code, either ColdFusion (which gets Excel interactivity from POI), or PHP (as Ben M has suggested.)

If you are not an experienced coder, this is going to be a difficult job, because there is no DW plugin or extension that will automatically do this, for you.

You could try the Javascript or jQuery libraries that I suggested, but this really should be done server-side.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, you need to translate the CSV data into JSON or a database format.

This is the one that I use https://www.dmxzone.com/go/32574/dmxzone-data-importer/ to import the data into a database.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 1