Highlighted

Local files have nothing in them. Delete?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am continuing to delete older files from my website that at are no longer active.

I've noticed the following local files that have nothing in them and so is it OK to delete them:

.well-known

._notes

cgi.bin

.ftpquota

public_html

Thanks for your help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

In that case, do not delete, but rename as I have suggested above.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Local files have nothing in them. Delete?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am continuing to delete older files from my website that at are no longer active.

I've noticed the following local files that have nothing in them and so is it OK to delete them:

.well-known

._notes

cgi.bin

.ftpquota

public_html

Thanks for your help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BenPleysier | Adobe Community Professional

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 08, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suzetteb58689955  wrote

.well-known

._notes

cgi.bin

.ftpquota

public_html

Those are essential server folders.  Do not delete from server unless you know what you're doing.  If unsure, check with your hosting provider.

Usually, it is not necessary to have those folders in your local site.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2018 1
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice: Live dangerously and delete them.

Alternatively, rename them by adding '_junk' to each of their file names, e.g.' _junk.well-known' and 'cgi_junk.bin'. Then when you notice that something is amiss, you can always delete the junk bit to return to the original. After a month or so, delete them.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2018 1
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing public_html locally makes my spidey senses tingle.

Usually public_html is the server's root folder and should never appear locally since it typically equals your local folder in the site's structure when compared side by side...

On The Server...
public_html

index.html

pages

page1.html

page2.html

images

Locally...

yoursiteroot

index.html

pages

page1.html

page2.html

images

Seeing public_html locally when you download a site could point to an FTP settings issue, a missing root folder, in your Site Definition.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 0
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you mean, but in some context have the root site of DW placed at a higher level, just precisely left synchronized much more easily with the server and thus letting appear folders cgi, includes among others ... so having the main web folder called public_html, or www, or httpdoc doesn't hurt me so much

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did go ahead and bite the bullet and deleted these files with nothing in them on the local folder on my desktop. The site is fine. Nothing at all bad happened.

When I log into Dreamweaver and look at remote folders and local folders side by side, I see these same files on the remote side. Would you recommend I leave them alone? Or can I delete them here, too?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 0
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files show up in the same location as they were on your local system, I would remove/rename them.

Live dangerously!

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm leaning toward deleting them from the remote, too, although I'm a little nervous about doing so. Once I delete from the remote something is gone for good and I'm just not that knowledgeable about Dreamweaver to be so risky. That said, however, with help and guidance from this forum this past week I deleted half of the files on my remote server and in my local folders since the files and information were way outdated and not used on the website at all, anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 0
Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give this a shot, Ben. In the meantime, since I'm on a roll updating my website that hasn't been updated in several years, I'm going to start a new thread and ask about using custom background colors on a web page. I've found that on my iPhone, the standard Dreamweaver colors in the background look fine, but on a computer, the plain colors with no shading, no texture, no nothing, each page looks a little bland and boring.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2018 0