Highlighted

[Locked] CS6 on Catalina

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a regustered copy of DW CS6 and am getting Apple mesages that this version will not be supported in the next OS upgrade.  Will Adobe support this version or must I no longer upgrade my Mac OS in order to continue using DW CS6 as I cannot afford the high monthly cost of the virtual DW now being offered online?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

I have branched this to a new discussion for you called CS6 on Catalina.

No.  Legacy CS6 is not supported or updated.  It will never be updated again.

Do not upgrade to Catalina until  you are fully committed to all new 64-bit software. 

Dreamweaver CC is not virtual.  It downloads and installs on your computer the same as it always has.  You save your work files to your hard drive the same as before.  The only difference is the payment and distribution model.  $21/month for 12 months or $240/year prepaid. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

TOPICS
Download install and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

[Locked] CS6 on Catalina

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a regustered copy of DW CS6 and am getting Apple mesages that this version will not be supported in the next OS upgrade.  Will Adobe support this version or must I no longer upgrade my Mac OS in order to continue using DW CS6 as I cannot afford the high monthly cost of the virtual DW now being offered online?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

Do not upgrade to Catalina until  you are fully committed to all new 64-bit software. 

Dreamweaver CC is not virtual.  It downloads and installs on your computer the same as it always has.  You save your work files to your hard drive the same as before.  The only difference is the payment and distribution model.  $21/month for 12 months or $240/year prepaid. 

TOPICS
Download install and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Oct 05, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Oct 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so ADOBE is essentially abandoning ALL of its customers that are occasional users of their tools because they want a regular fixed monthly revenue stream.  There are many of us out here that don't require the latest versions of software as they are available, and similarly, do not expect unlimited long-term support beyond a 2-3 year window as well.  If you do the math -- 240 USD per year for 3 years = 720 USD.  I have had the same version in place for 6 years.  Looking at current costs, that means I would have spent nearly 1500 USD, 3 times what it cost me based on the 500 USD I spent when I last upgraded.  In addition, I would have had an unwanted monthly bill for 71 months of the same 72 month period.

If the intent is to limit the availability of the tools to only professionals with a steady income and a means to support the monthly costs, then bravo Adobe, because that's exactly what you're doing.  You'll be pushing users to less expensive tools and expanding the tools available by other developers at the loss of your own revenue.  A premium software tool at a one-time premium price is preferable to the current ridiculous model of monthly payments.

I guess it's time for me to discontinue the use of your software in favor of other packages that may not offer as much capability, but which are more in line with my ability to limit unwanted monthly expenses.  I expect there are many others that will be taking similar action.

Translate

Translate

Oct 10, 2019 7
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with this, forcing anyone to upgrade to a newer version is ridiculious.

Translate

Translate

Oct 12, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said my friend, I expect to follow suit as my pockets are now empty. Thank you Adobe for robbing us ( again )

Translate

Translate

Oct 23, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably best NOT to upgrade to a new OS just for the sake of being current IF it means there is potential for your current software to stop running or you dislike the terms and conditions of the version of the software you are contempating upgrading to. Personally once I have a workflow set up I will never upgrade my OS until I purchase a new machine, which is normally every 5-6 years, or I simple MUST have what is on offer in any newer version of the software.

Translate

Translate

Oct 06, 2019 1
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum.  Adobe staff rarely visit this space.

Adobe isn't abandoning anyone nor forcing you to buy new software.   Apple is.  Adobe didn't change their legacy software to make it stop working.   Apple changed their operating system. 

Apple expects their customers  to use the latest equipment, OS and apps. But just in case you don't,  Apple notified users well ahead of time that 32-bit software support would end at Mojave.  Now you have a choice to make.   Either revert to an older OS and stay there.  Or move forward with a new OS and newer compatible software.  Simple, simple.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Oct 10, 2019 1
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was advised just now by an assistant at Adobe support chat that there will be future updates to the 32 bit software so it can be used with Catalina

Translate

Translate

Oct 11, 2019 3
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing the typical language barrier issue with chat is hitting here and they mean any of their current software that happens to be 32 bit will be updated for Catalina. They've said, pretty consistently for the last several years, that CS6 is EOL and will never receive updates. It would be pretty strange for them to go back, to a version so far removed from current, to make an update for this new OS when they haven't for any of the other updates that have happened since CS6 was designated End Of Life (on either Mac or Windows). I would not hold your breath waiting for an update, it's very likely you were given inaccurate information due to English being a second or third language for the support rep..

Translate

Translate

Oct 11, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are Creative Cloud Indd, PS, and Illustrator working seamlessly on OS Catalina now? Previous posts suggested waiting a few months before updating to Catalina and downloading Creative Cloud. What is the easiest method to accessing CS6 files once the OS has been upgraded to Catalina and Creative Cloud software has been downloaded? 

Translate

Translate

Jan 14, 2020 0
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are Creative Cloud Indd, PS, and Illustrator working seamlessly on OS Catalina now?"
You should ask those questions in the  respective ID, PS and AI product forums

https://community.adobe.com/

For best results, remove old 32-bit applications BEFORE upgrading to Catalina and  Creative Cloud.  Also use the Adobe Cleaner tool to wipe residual files from your system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

It goes without saying that work files should always be backed up to externals or cloud storage like Dropbox just in case.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Jan 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tenure with Adobe products are over.  I began this journey with CS1 back in 2003 ending with CS6 October 2019.  Quite a run I would say.  I can't afford a monthly fee for the CC line of  products; Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.  Since my retirement I only use these products on an occasional basis; mostly for fun and side work to help others with their web-sites.  My CS6 products worked wonderfully for these occasions.   However, since the Catalina update and Adobe refusal support the CS6 peoduct line I will be leaving the product Abobe. I'll find other options.  Im sure there are products out there I can use that do not require the cloud.  This will be my first and last post.  Thanks Adobe for a great run.  Your time has run out.  

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2019 1
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe software doesn't "rely on the cloud" it's installed to your system just like the CS versions were, they're just delivered differently and periodically check for a valid subscription to keep running.

As for moving to other software, you might find GIMPShop to your liking, it's a free, open source image editor with many of the functions of PS.

Brackets is a free, open source code editor created by Adobe originally, though there's no "Design View" interface, you need to be able to work with code.

Affinity Designer, though not free ($50 US last time I looked), is an OK replacement for Illustrator.

All of these programs have their pros and cons, but for someone who uses the product so infrequently, you'd probably be able to make the switch with relative ease.

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2019 0
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blaming Adobe for your woes is not a solution.  Support for Creative Suite ended about 18 months after the product originally released.  Where did you get the idea that Adobe or any software maker for that matter would make non-supported products work on an incompatible operating system?  That's just plain crazy. 

Nobody at Adobe made your legacy software stop working.  You did that yourself when you upgraded to Catalina.  Why don't you revert back to your old OS?  Or better yet, put your old OS on a virtual machine or 2nd computer so you can keep using your outdated products?   IMO, that's the only sensible thing to do.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2019 0
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just removed my reply

Translate

Translate

Nov 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer automatically updated my OS to Catalina and now my CS6 Adobe programs don't open.

Since I own the CS6 disc and the license, I'd like to buy an older computer that is running a compatible OS (High Sierra) and install my Adobe Mastersuite. Will I be able to do this or will Adobe stop me?

Gary

Translate

Translate

Dec 11, 2019 0
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you own a legitimate license for CS6 and have a compatible system to run it,  Adobe won't stop you from using it. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Dec 11, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you just format your mac and install Mojave? That will allow you to continue using CS6.

I would love myself to upgrade to Catalina, but I will have to also update Dreamweaver CS6 to the latest version. However, by doing this I will lose a unique functionality Dreamweaver CS6 and earlier versions have that allows me to be more productive. I'll stick to Mojave while I can.

Translate

Translate

Dec 11, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good point. To do that though I'd have to have a reliable backup
of the entire hard drive. I'll try this. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Jan 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also furious. The only solution for me is to take my old macbook back and use the Dreamweaver I have on that one.

Adobe is becoming ridiculous as is Microsoft.

Translate

Translate

Jan 30, 2020 0
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bertrand ... did you give a try to https://www.virtualbox.org

I

Translate

Translate

Jan 30, 2020 0
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe is becoming ridiculous as is Microsoft."

Adobe didn't do anything to make your legacy CS6 stop working.  You did that when you upgraded your OS without checking compatibility first. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

Since June 2017, Apple has been warning customers about the end of 32-bit app support. 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3269007/what-apples-32-bit-app-phase-out-on-mojave-means-to-yo...

==============

Beware of fake Adobe reps offering to sell you software or gain remote access to your computer.  It's a scam.  Run away!

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Jan 30, 2020 0