Highlighted

Locked out of editing when in Design Mode

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently I currently cannot edit in Design mode. The cursor is a circle with a line through it everywhere I tried to get to in the site. It seems like I am in some kind of mode that I need to get out of. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Observations I hope will help:

1. It shows an * at the end of the file name.
2.  Even when the cursor looks like I could possibly edit, as soon as I click on anything it changes to the circle with a line through it

and the entire site looks like it is now inaccessible.

3. I can edit in Live mode.

4. Dreamweaver 2018

5. Even when I tried to re-create the page, the same issue occurs. (Same file name)

6. I have other files where I can access Design mode.

Thanks for the help!

Message was edited by: Jose Villanueva

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Locked out of editing when in Design Mode

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently I currently cannot edit in Design mode. The cursor is a circle with a line through it everywhere I tried to get to in the site. It seems like I am in some kind of mode that I need to get out of. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Observations I hope will help:

1. It shows an * at the end of the file name.
2.  Even when the cursor looks like I could possibly edit, as soon as I click on anything it changes to the circle with a line through it

and the entire site looks like it is now inaccessible.

3. I can edit in Live mode.

4. Dreamweaver 2018

5. Even when I tried to re-create the page, the same issue occurs. (Same file name)

6. I have other files where I can access Design mode.

Thanks for the help!

Message was edited by: Jose Villanueva

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 23, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of your workspace might help us understand more.  

Are you working with a template child page by any chance?  Template child pages are only editable within certain defined regions.  Everything outside those regions are grayed or locked.  See example.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help.

It is a child of a template, but it is also definitely in an editable area. In fact, I am locked out of the entire site when I am in design mode.

I also added screenshots as you suggested. Hopefully this provides more clues.

Thank you,

Jose

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2019 0
Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to edit CSS styles or HTML content?

CSS should be editable from the Template.dwt file or the stylesheet.css file, not the child pages.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML

I need to add content to the tables in the sidebars. The sidebars I will do in live mode, so no issue with those. The table will work better in design mode, which is why I want to unlock the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2019 0
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us the code from your Template.dwt file and the problem child page.  A link to the online pages would be best.  A less convenient 2nd option is to copy and paste code from both documents into  a forum reply. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2019 1