• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macromedia DW 8 on Win 10 [CS2 is dead]

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any recommendations for the repair or replacement of Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 on a Windows 10 OS?  The program opens, but it immediately shuts down when trying to open a page not available on the DW opening page, calling a file, try linking to a file, etc.

TOPICS
Download install and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

To Nancy O, Ken. B., Ben P., Ben M., and Jon F. (ecludes Henri who may be a

new hire or a competitor):

Thank you for your help. I decided to take the easy way out by buying a

friend's laptop with Windows 7. I've loaded that with DW8 and will use

that till I transfer my websites.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try running DW in compatibility mode within Windows 10.  Otherwise it might be time to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.  If I were to upgrade, what would you recommend and would I be able to use and manipulate my current website files "seemlessly"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW8 was never intended to run on OSs beyond XP or Vista.  I think you may be pushing your luck with Win10.   If Compatibility mode doesn't work, you can download a 30-day trial of CC 2015 to see how you like it.  I won't sugar coat it, a lot has changed in DW so be prepared for a learning curve.

Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you're probably correct about pushing my luck with having DW8 compatibility with Windows 10.  It did work with Windows 8.1.  I appreciate your recommendation for the upgrade, but I'd rather buy software than a service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your recommendation for the upgrade, but I'd rather buy software than a service.

Well here's your present situation:

There is no upgrade option for DW8 users - it's too old to qualify.

CS6 is the last version Adobe made available for outright purchase.  And it is Legacy software now.  It's not receiving any further updates and it lacks the modern bells & whistles that are in Creative Cloud products. It's also very expensive US $400.

IMO, you would be paying a lot of cash for something that is already yesterday's news.  And there is no telling how much longer CS6 will be able to run on modern operating systems (back to your original problem).

In contrast, Creative Cloud software is subscription only, but it receives regular updates & upgrades.  You install the software on your hard drive exactly the same as before. You can run CC software on Win / Mac or both.  It's not platform specific.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but, I'm maintaining websites for 4 non-profits and, as a retired

person on fixed income, I don't need extra expenses. I'll have to either

drop the websites or look for a more economical means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I can appreciate that.

If you can work with code, get Adobe's open source Brackets (it's free, it's fast, it's an awesome code editor).

Try it.

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, all you need is money, not providing any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.  What's sad is that DW8 did work with Windows 10 at the onset; but apparently, a Win10 update disrupted or corrupted files in DW8 to create the no-linking issue.  DW8 opnes fine, but issues occur when you try to open files not listed as "recent".  Also, you can't bright up files or make links to files (e.g., images)  without the DW8 program crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon's answer should work. Here is a better description of what to do Issues with installing or opening Dreamweaver on Windows 10

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben, but it didn't work. I tried it once before. At the end of the

scan I get a message that states that no integrity issues were found.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Ben Pleysier <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the cache file as in Deleting a corrupted cache file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did delete the cache file, but to no avail.  Once DW8 is open and I call up a linked page, you see the page selection menu pop up for just an instant, then the program closes.  Very annoying to say the least.  Even though the message at the end of the sfc /scannow procedure says there were no integrity violations, it acts as so there is one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is a Windows 10 compatibility issue, I think it has to do with Dreamweaver. Did you also try the last step and delete the whole Configuration folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, only the cache file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do a clean re-install of DW8 after installing Win10?

This is almost always required to handshake software with new registry and other writable system files.

Did you also remember to install the DW 8.0.2 update?  That update -- released in 2006 -- was necessary for fixing several DW8 bugs.

Adobe - Dreamweaver Support Center : Updaters

Good luck!

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, reinstalled both the main program and the update...again, to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Nancy O, Ken. B., Ben P., Ben M., and Jon F. (ecludes Henri who may be a

new hire or a competitor):

Thank you for your help. I decided to take the easy way out by buying a

friend's laptop with Windows 7. I've loaded that with DW8 and will use

that till I transfer my websites.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patch to DW 8.02 for proper execution on Win 8.1 64 bit and Win10 64 bit...

Following update procedure works like a charm on Win10 64 bit with DW 8.0 installed off the CDROM (I think the main problem with DW 8 is 32 bit running under 64 bit properly?)

Download this zip file from Adobe and unzip in an empty directory on your hard drive (contains a single file called patchpackage.msp ) :

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/kb400150/DW802_unwrapped.zip

Drop to an Administrator Command Prompt and run the following:

msiexec /update patchpackage.msp

(from the directory where this file is unzipped from the download linked above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Dreamweaver 8.02 running just fine under Windows 10 for many months BUT after a hard shutdown due to a power outage earlier today, that is all over!   Now Dreamweaver always crashes quite soon after starting with an Application Error popup window:  The instruction at 0x0000000076F9097D referenced memory at 0x0000000008D10008. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

I have uninstalled Dreamweaver, removing my user configuration directory (at Macromedia level) and deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\ (because my site definitions were retained w/o the REGEdit).

This has not solved the problem:  I still see the same error within minutes of starting Dreamweaver. I was able to load all my exported site definitions, open a file, but then CRASH.

Any ideas???

Note no errors on boot or problems with other applications so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't guarantee anything because  DW8 is way beyond its end of life and was never intended to run on anything much beyond XP.   In the meantime, download Brackets.  It will run on Win10 no problem.

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

You could try downloading CS2 from Adobe's Web Site. NOTE: The activation servers are offline now, so you must use the prescribed serial number that appears on that download page.

"Activation server unavailable" error in Adobe CS2, Acrobat 7, and Audition 3

Install in Safe Mode and try running under XP or Win7 Compatibility Mode.  

Long term solution, join the Creative Cloud Plan.  You'll receive free product upgrades for as long as you remain a subscriber. 

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!   I just got stuck on Dreamweaver 8 because it does everything I need for my very limited web "development".  I have 3 personal hobby sites & designed & maintain three sites for nonprofit enterprises. I have moved some of these to WordPress, but not all.

I do not charge for my services, and don't want to spend $$'s for new products, nor do I want to deal with a steep learning curve for new softwares: I am 61, an artist, and want to direct my limited energy into my art.

Well, I will consider the alternatives, including migrating my remaining sites to WP to reduce my need for development environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially, DW8 seemingly worked on Win10.  I noticed the linking/crashing problem after an automatic update of Win10 occurred.  Strangely, I noticed a problem using Google gmail after that update as well.  When using a second page to call up a website, the page will lock up when exiting it, particularly if a video was used.  Ironically, the first time was to view a Microsoft Win10 demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try this, seems to work for others getting the program (DW in general, not necessarily DW8) to run under W10...

Do a search for CMD

Right click the Command Prompt icon and choose Run As Administrator

In the prompt, type (make sure the space is there between sfc and /)

sfc /scannow

Hit Enter

When it's done, restart the computer and try DW again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines