Highlighted

Manually Link/Edit css in DW CC 18.1

Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to come up to speed with 18.1 Lots of new functionality (perhaps because I may have been a few versions behind). Tutorials appear to be very helpful for the most part. However, in the tutorial on defining a site I have thus far found no mention of a css, whereas in the file list I found a blank css; could not find an explanation (that I could hear) of (a) how it is created, or (b) how to edit the css, once created.

My situation is: a number of existing websites are linked to the same style sheet located one folder level above their respective home folders. Ideally I would like to link my new site to that common css, (for ease of maintenance, etc.), if that is possible. If not, I would like to [whatever is possible] (a) paste from the existing sheet to the css in my new site or (b) manually enter the same styles into the new css.

My common css is relatively simple, and past experience is that it does not change terribly often; if so, changes could propagated to other css's as needed. But the existing setup would be preferable if possible.

Any ideas appreciated, as always.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

perhaps that you could have all your web sites in the same DW web site definition folder (dw root folder) as display below

- DW root folder

-    HTMLs Site A

-    HTMLs Site B

-    HTMLs Site C

-    Shared folder

-    indexA.html

-    indexB.html

-    indexC.html

-    index.html

last is a shared folder  where you can place all the commons file, and at the real pseudo root all the indexA|B|C.html fiels for their respective entrance... you can also add a dummy full index.html that will redrive the entrance to the appropriate web site (if URL domain == A then indexA.html and so on...)

then from server setting (in DW) you set as many server definition as you have web site... and the you just have to swap to send correct files to appropriate server

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Manually Link/Edit css in DW CC 18.1

Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to come up to speed with 18.1 Lots of new functionality (perhaps because I may have been a few versions behind). Tutorials appear to be very helpful for the most part. However, in the tutorial on defining a site I have thus far found no mention of a css, whereas in the file list I found a blank css; could not find an explanation (that I could hear) of (a) how it is created, or (b) how to edit the css, once created.

My situation is: a number of existing websites are linked to the same style sheet located one folder level above their respective home folders. Ideally I would like to link my new site to that common css, (for ease of maintenance, etc.), if that is possible. If not, I would like to [whatever is possible] (a) paste from the existing sheet to the css in my new site or (b) manually enter the same styles into the new css.

My common css is relatively simple, and past experience is that it does not change terribly often; if so, changes could propagated to other css's as needed. But the existing setup would be preferable if possible.

Any ideas appreciated, as always.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by B i r n o u | Adobe Community Professional

perhaps that you could have all your web sites in the same DW web site definition folder (dw root folder) as display below

- DW root folder

-    HTMLs Site A

-    HTMLs Site B

-    HTMLs Site C

-    Shared folder

-    indexA.html

-    indexB.html

-    indexC.html

-    index.html

last is a shared folder  where you can place all the commons file, and at the real pseudo root all the indexA|B|C.html fiels for their respective entrance... you can also add a dummy full index.html that will redrive the entrance to the appropriate web site (if URL domain == A then indexA.html and so on...)

then from server setting (in DW) you set as many server definition as you have web site... and the you just have to swap to send correct files to appropriate server

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 25, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creating a new css blank file can have different location

1 from the welcome screen

2 from the file menu... file > new.... then in the opening dialog box

3 frome the CSS designer panel (SGIFT + F11), clik on the Sources + button to open a pop up

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2018 1
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- DW root folder

-    HTMLs Site A

-    HTMLs Site B

-    HTMLs Site C

-    Shared folder

-    indexA.html

-    indexB.html

-    indexC.html

-    index.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2018 1
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW is intended to work with all site files and assets inside the local site folder (root);  not one level above.

If your CSS file is on your remote server, use an absolute link to the file.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 1