Highlighted

migrate ftp cs6

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to consolidate two hosting packages on the server. To do this I would like to move the sites from one ftp site to a different ftp site.

So far I've duplicated the ftp (the one with the sites I would like to move) and changed the connection info to the ftp where I would like to move them *to* but without changing the local root folder (where the sites I would like to move live) to the local root folder associated with the ftp where I would like to move them to the ftp will not resolve.

Mac 10.11.6

Dreamweaver CS6 (no, cloud is not an option due to rural slow internet access)

All suggestions welcome.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ben M | Adobe Community Professional

To move a site from one location to another you need to have the backup of the sites and databases. Just moving HTML will not work if you have applications like Wordpress and phpBB that store data in a database.  If you are being charged that much to move your sites, I would just download backups of your site and find another host with a VPS or dedicated solution so that you can host as many sites as you need.  If you don't have a technical resource available to you, you may have to absorb that cost in order to get yourself into a better hosting solution that can accommodate your current, and future, needs.

TOPICS
Dreamweaver FTP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

migrate ftp cs6

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to consolidate two hosting packages on the server. To do this I would like to move the sites from one ftp site to a different ftp site.

So far I've duplicated the ftp (the one with the sites I would like to move) and changed the connection info to the ftp where I would like to move them *to* but without changing the local root folder (where the sites I would like to move live) to the local root folder associated with the ftp where I would like to move them to the ftp will not resolve.

Mac 10.11.6

Dreamweaver CS6 (no, cloud is not an option due to rural slow internet access)

All suggestions welcome.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ben M | Adobe Community Professional

To move a site from one location to another you need to have the backup of the sites and databases. Just moving HTML will not work if you have applications like Wordpress and phpBB that store data in a database.  If you are being charged that much to move your sites, I would just download backups of your site and find another host with a VPS or dedicated solution so that you can host as many sites as you need.  If you don't have a technical resource available to you, you may have to absorb that cost in order to get yourself into a better hosting solution that can accommodate your current, and future, needs.

TOPICS
Dreamweaver FTP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 22, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First - cloud in Adobe terms has nothing to do with internet speed. They called it cloud just to sound cool.  It's still a downloaded app that lives on your computer. It just needs to connect to the internet 1x every 30 days to verify the license. Internet connectivity, offline grace period, and reminders | Adobe Creative Cloud apps

Second, if you are consolidating 2 accounts into one for hosting, and they both use the same FTP, I'm not sure I understand all of the duplication of FTP that you are doing. If you are consolidating 2 domains to be hosted on one account I would say you have 2 options.

1. Manage everything from one site definition in DW.  In this scenario both sites would likely be folders, or sub folders, within your site definition. One FTP account is needed, but all logs for the sites would just show the one login.

2. If you need to separate the logs between the sites, you can setup 2 site definitions, even if one site is contained within another entirely (ie: main site in root and 2nd site in subfolder).  In this case, site 1 will have one set of FTP login credentials and the second site would have its own. You would be able to see work done on the different sites in the FTP logs as different users logging in to make changes.

If you are not getting the FTP to resolve, with those solutions, can you click on Site--> Advanced --> FTP Log before your next transfer and let us know what the error is that you are receiving from the FTP log. That will give us all of the information needed to help troubleshoot the connection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consolidating 2 hosting packages.

hosting package 1 has 3 sites

hosting package 2 has 6 sites

Don't want to pay for 2 hosting packages

Network solutions will charge me $175 per site to move from hosting package to another.

I'd rather just upload the sites if possible and save some $$

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what I heard you say is I need to put the migrating sites in a subfolder? ....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ftp #1 is asking for the password from ftp #2 Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 10.50.58 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm- no way within dreamweaver to upload from one hosting package to another- and especially no way of doing that without breaking every phpBB and Wordpress link.

I'm going to have to pay them $1200 aren't I?

Sigh....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 0
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 1
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a Dreamweaver question.  It is a hosting and consolidation issue.  

I think Ben is right.   Unless there is some  compelling reason to keep using Network Solutions for hosting, I would look for another web host and move all sites, domains, e-mails, databases , etc... to a new dedicated or VPS server.  Be patient.  Moving 9 sites will take some time.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019 0