• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modified forums...

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to create a modified forums and then some but I want to know the technicality of how it can be created.  It won’t be like a regular forums template you find anywhere so this will make me have to code on dreamweaver (or on muse).  Before telling me where to find these php which program is easier and faster to complete on, dreamweaver or muse.  I just know how to code html and css well.

Like on the “create post” page instead of having one text box, I would have multiple tabs for it.  Then the thread would also have multiple tabs.  So it has to be “custom” made

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse is easier but it has its limitations. Dreamweaver is the better choice, but don't forget that HTML + CSS is mostly static with a bit of animation. For a forum to work, it needs inputs from the user. This cannot be achieved using HTML + CSS alone. For this I would suggest using PHP and a MySQL database.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well if you have solid knowledge on PHP, the JavaScript/HTML/CSS, you can develop a forum from scratch... a forum has a lot of component to develop and master... like Users, Users Roles, Comment, Alert, Internal message and so on... so perhaps that I did miss the question bottom line, so sorry, if I did...

personnaly if I have a forum to handle, i use the core simpple machine one Simple Machines Forum - Free & open source community software

if that wasn't the question... never mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

the smf looks promising

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

Batgirl: If any of these posts helped answer your question, can you take a moment to mark it as correct for the benefit of other users with a similar question?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Building a safe & secure web forum is an advanced level project that requires many hours of advanced coding skills  in both server-side and client side scripting + a firm understanding of web server security. 

You can't possibly build this with Muse or HTML & CSS alone.  In all candor, Dreamweaver alone won't help you either. 

Look at Amazon Web Services with the Bitnami Simple Machines Forum software.

AWS Marketplace: Simple Machines Forum powered by Bitnami

If you've never used AWS cloud services or set-up an EC2 instance, there's a learning curve.  Just read the documentation thoroughly before you start and take each step-by-step.   AWS is usage based so you're not paying high traffic server fees for a low traffic site. 

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the interest and added value of using AWS instead of installing SMF on its own server independently ? ... I'm just curious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

what is the interest and added value of using AWS instead of installing SMF on its own server independently ? ... I'm just curious

COST.  A community forum can be very expensive to run. 

AWS charges for what you actually use.  No guesswork required.

Adobe uses AWS.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't understand... what is the cost if one install SMF on our own webserver and run it from there ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With self-hosting a community forum, you must make wild guesses about server space, bandwidth, traffic and peak load for which you have no data.   I don't like making guesses because 9/10 times I will over estimate.

With AWS on elastic EC2s, you don't have to over or under estimate what you need.  You're charged for what you use.   Check it out sometime.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are we talking about ?... the OT asked to how to build a forum and modified it to our proper needs... so now we are talking on maintaining a very large web service forum... for what I think that doesn't answer the initial question... don't you think

using smf doesn't require any extra cost and allows us to canibalize everything using plugin or template...

now back to the bandwith... I've maintained and set forum for my clients (hospital, small university departement, national professionals team for medical senior assistance...) I always use smf on a private remote server for those purpose, and never enter in any extra cost... so please what cost are you talking about...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bitnami Simple Machine Forum is open source software (FREE). 

AWS is convenient because the infrastructure for running most apps is already in place.  AWS costs less than ordinary web hosting plans.  For example, an EC2 instance on a T2nano server will cost about  7 cents per hour of usage.

AWS Highlights:

• Modifying the appearance of SMF is easy to do, with the built-in theme editor and a large scale of themes available for free on our website.
  • Adding functionality is as easy as downloading a free modification package in to the package manager that comes with SMF.
  • A powerful search system allows your users to look through posts/topics to find what they're looking for.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the best way to drown the fish is to make the water even more turbid than it was at the beginning?
why not answer the question clearly ...?

Bitnami is just a nuts around an all ready open software... so it doe'snt bring anything (as a main feature, that the original SMF has already...)

if we talk about an non profit organisation that has no budhet...  we can forget bitnami, and simply use SMF (which is not to forget the real starting tool before being encapsulated), then we can use a free web hosting, no ads, no slow machine... https://www.000webhost.com/

if the organisation has a minimum of means, we can then opt for a space like https://www.ovh.com/en/web-accommodation/perspection-perso.xml which is much , much... cheaper than those offered by Amazon ...

moreover why still come feed the GAFA with all the bits that will help to feed their voluntary bonding algorithms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you don't like my answers, Birnou.    I like to post solutions that will be of interest to others who find this thread today, tomorrow or  6 months from now.  

Currently, AWS is the biggest cloud services provider in the world.  Millions of web sites use them -- big & small for everything from web apps &  data storage to web hosting & Content Delivery Networks.  If you're not familiar with AWS and what it can do for you as a developer, try it free for 12 months while you acquaint yourself with the services.   After 10 months, you will have some real data from your forum or web site to cost compare with other reliable hosting options.   If for whatever reasons, Amazon doesn't deliver everything you need at less cost, there's no obligation to stay with them.   Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never said that I did not like your answer ... besides I have neither liked or not some answers whatsoever ...

that's not the question

I was asking why do we need to connect SMF to AWS ? as if we had to use AWS to host a WordPress site, or just host our sites on AWS ...

it always surprises me and I'm curious to see this kind of craze ... GAFA ... GAFA ...

I am familiar with AWS solutions and if you read the literature on the subject you will see that I have often been a reviewer for this type of solutions ...:) ... but again... I'm not addict on google drives, iphones, facebook api (either if I wrote book on it) and aws... so I like to understand why as soons as we need to employ open source solution, we run on gafa as fast as we can... again... just curious to understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think AWS is merely a craze like iPhones and Google Drive, then I have no answer for you.  I don't use or reject AWS to be fashionable.  I use it  when I think it's a practical, cost effective solution for the project.  I odn't know what more I can say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

being graze, is not fashionable... it's just GAFA... have you ever heard the term GAFA ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GAFA = Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon

Craze = trend, fashion, vogue, or widespread enthusiasm.  Example, "bungee jumping."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coool.... where do you live ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, in which country ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

on a bigger forum "Web Services" is the way to go because as Nancy points out COST becomes the main issue

the price you pay is loss of control and an email folder full of pointless alerts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but I miss your point, please could you reformulate, because, as I read it, (and I'm certainly wrong)... is you propose to go for a web services forum, and then you add... that way we will loose control and get a lot of non necessary mail ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is Discourse:

https://www.discourse.org/

With Free & Open Source version, if you are willing to self host and self install:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse

You see it in use a lot for modern forums now days, it looks like this https://meta.discourse.org/ or this Pinegrow Community Forum , etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines