• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modify New Document Type: Source file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in August I called TS and had to insist give me an answer. He finally gave me the solution. My mistake I didn’t document the solution. Now I updated to V21 and V20 is gone and I need to redo the fix and can’t remember the solution. I’ve talked to 3 different TS people. The 1st I had to insist there was a solution because it was solved back in August. He sent me to C:\Users\mycomputer\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 2021\en_US\Configuration. Couldn’t find what I wanted. The 2nd gave me an article that solved what she though I asked. The next said he couldn’t help because Adobe didn’t give them an answer in their data base.

The problem.

If you go to File > New and select New Document </> HTML you get:

Untitled-1

1 <!doctype html>

2 <html>

3 <head>

4 <meta charset="utf-8">

5 <title>Untitled Document</title>

6 </head>

8 <body>

9 </body>

10 </html>

I want to edit this file. I believe it is located in C:Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver 2021.

No I’m not looking to save the above as index.htlm, I want to modify the original that Adobe has somewhere on the system.

Hope I’m clear.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

The files you are looking for are at...

C > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver 2021 > configuration > Document Types > NewDocuments 

If you only work with .html files, you only need to modify the "Default.html" file. For myself, I edit Default.html and Default.php and that covers any file I might make when I go to File > New.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files you are looking for are at...

C > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver 2021 > configuration > Document Types > NewDocuments 

If you only work with .html files, you only need to modify the "Default.html" file. For myself, I edit Default.html and Default.php and that covers any file I might make when I go to File > New.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! What I was looking for. Don't know how I missed it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened up the default.html and default.php and they were html4 not html5 so while close aren't what Dreamweaver 21 uses. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are ... try a small test like putting some text in the body and you'll see

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it worked.

Thanks again. I made a note and saved it so I won't forget. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, the default template when you open it has an old doctype in it, that's probably what threw you off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, you're looking for the file that generates a default HTML starter document.  I honestly don't know where to find that. I never mess with those files.

To keep things simple, I save re-usable code to my Custom Snippets folder which is located in:

C:\Users > [name] > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Dreamweaver [ver] > [language] > Configuration > Snippets > Custom. 

My snippets ported over just fine to ver 21.0.  But I kept ver 20 just in case I need it later.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to look here I believe: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver 2021\configuration\DocumentTypes\NewDocuments\

look for default.html, default.php etc depending on which  new file type you want to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines