• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

module_contentholder OK in DW CS6 but not OK in DW CC (2018)

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recuperated all the files from an entire site created with Dreamweaver CS6 in the latest version of Dreamweaver CC. The Main Template.dwt is in the directory Templates. Here is the code referring to the menu.html (in _System/ContentHolders/) which never appear in index.html nor in any other files based on the same template :

<body>

<header class="page">

<div class="container">

<div class="sixteen columns logo">

<h3><a href="/">An OBR Esprit instance on the web</a></h3>

<div class="menu full">

<!-- you can edit the menu from "_System/ContentHolders/menu.html" -->

{module_contentholder,name="menu"}

</div>

<div class="menu dropdown">

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Menu</a>

</li>

</ul>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</header>

This code worked perfectly in DW CS6 but no longer in DW CC.

Having published the site, I see only  {module_contentholder,name="menu"} in place the menu

What happen?   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code you're showing us is neither a DW Template.dwt or a child page spawned from a DW Template.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, see below  the full code of Main Template.dwt of which a skeleton was generated by DW CS6 and which I modified so that it meets more precisely my needs. I assure you that It worked perfectly so in DW CS6. It seems that DW CC does not recognize /_System/ContentHolders/    and can not reach the files placed in this supposedly standard directory.

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" --><title>An OBR Esprit instance on the web TEST 2</title><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

<link href="/stylesheets/base.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<link href="/stylesheets/skeleton.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<link href="/stylesheets/layout.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

<![endif]-->

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script src="/javascripts/sorttable2.js"></script>   

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">

</head>

<body>

<header class="page">

<div class="container">

<div class="sixteen columns logo">

<h3><a href="/">An OBR Esprit instance on the web</a></h3>

<div class="menu full">

</div>

<div class="menu dropdown">

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Menu</a>

</li>

</ul>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</header>

<div class="container">

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="ContentArea" -->{tag_pagecontent}<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

</div>

<footer class="container">

<div class="sixteen columns">

<nav role="navigation">

</nav>

<p>Copyright © 2012 Company Co. All rights reserved.</p>

</div>

</footer>

<!-- Scripts moved at the end for a faster page rendering -->

<script src="/javascripts/menu.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function() {

$('.menu.dropdown ul li').click(function(){

$(this).find('ul').toggle();

});

});

</script>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's looks like you're using Root Relative links.  See screenshot below.  My template contains a link to my external CSS file but it's document relative (../css/my_styles.css).

Try changing your links to document relative and see if thiat helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your could be right but the problem seems not to be at this level. First, the directories structure has not be changed from DW CS6. As I neglected to maintain my site from while, and didn't program no longer for the web from years, I don't remember the way to force the depending files (based on the template) to integrated the template's changes that I did. I made changes to the template, saved them and those changes weren't reflected in the non editable code areas in the deepening/referring files. It recalls me something as "broken links" but no broken links are notified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem could be this: force DW CC to understand that {module_contentholder,name="menu"} refers to C:\Dev\DW CC\CS6\www\_System\ContentHolders\menu.html. Sorry, I am suspecting that my error is more trivial than the one you pointed out and is situated at the level of the use of the interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In DW CC as in DW CS6, referring to the root directory is allowed by this:

- Select Manage sites... (under Site)

- Click on the name of your site

- Site setup for "your site" appears

- Select Advanced Settings

- On Local Info, two radio buttons gives you the choice between Document and Site Root.(Links relative to:)

- I have chosen Site Root.

Despite all of this,

does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're working on a Business Catalyst site.  Business Catalyst Templates only work on BC Servers.

Connect to your site using Dreamweaver CC 2014 or later

In case you missed the memo, Business Catalyst is EOL which means the servers will be taken down in March 2021. You will need to make plans to move your current sites from BC to a new web host.

Important Update about the Business Catalyst End of Life

The ability to create new BC trial sites ended on Monday 6/18.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question may be stupid but what do you mean by "Business catalyst site"? I created my site originally with DW CS6 and tried to recuperate it in DW CC. I don't know nearly nothing about BC. My site was put on a server from en Belgian provider and is liable to be totally independent from  BC structure or any what else that could involves restrictions on the generality of the JavaScript generated by DW CS6 or coded in it by myself. As  DW CS6 is free for those who have bought DW CC, I downloaded again DW CS6 and experienced with horror that it works not better with this one than with the new DW CC, while I developed my site with DW CS6! What does mean such a mess ?!

In Design mode, I click on a container area and the properties pane (for the container) appears and I have only to drag a file in the link field and drop this file in it (or select the file in the files tree). Whatever the way is use, the file does not appear in the link field. When I click on the help button, I get an obsolete link on the web.

About the support: it comes to nothing as soon as we go beyond the limits of elementary use of the interface. At least, I have to retry, chatting and chatting again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I understand is that you have download all of the files form the remote server and  the code works in CS6 but not in CC18.

If that is true, could you please supply a link to the remote site so that we can have a loo at it.

I my understanding is not true, please start again. Using your first language (Dutch/French) may help us as there are Dutch and French speaking persons that frequent this forum.

Must go back to watching Belgium-Tunesia.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben & Nancy,

I don't know if this will help, but BC was also available on 3rd party hosting plans at the time of CS6's release, and the code was also availible as part of CS6's features. So it may be that the OP's server provider no longer supports BC and has moved the OP to another server plan.

Just a guess, but would explain the BC code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have a look at the Template at http://www.danielpisters.be/Templates/Main%20Template.dwt​, I see {module_contentholder,name="menu"} mentioned a few times. This file can be found at http://www.danielpisters.be/_System/ContentHolders/menu.html

I do not know enough about the mechanism involved in including the menu file into the main Template. As far as I can see, this has nought to do with BC.

What I do know is, if it worked under CS6 it should also work under CC18 if all is equal.

Edit: Belgium 5 - Tunesia 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggested BC because -

_System/Content... and the method of inserting into an html file are both part of BC's server file structure and how one would reference the 'include' using BC.

Also if the OP's server provider has moved the site to a none BC server, then the file would no longer exist, so could not be downloaded by the OP.

Edit - Dw CS6 has BC code support as part of the program, CC (all versions) does not support BC. So BC code should work in CS6 (not CC download).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My country won? Dommage... I apologize, Ben, for this remark that would instead have its place on Facebook: the naïve and almost fanatical craze for football in this country diverts the attention of people from the essential problems that gangrenate it probably irreparably (corruption, foolishness, stupidity, incompetence... and  "evolution " towards a form of dictatorship) but "revenons à nos moutons".

Nancy and Pziecina are most probably right. I was deceived by DW CS6 using treacherously a non-standard structure related to BC.

In this case, what is the best way (referring to the best programming practice) to replace this damned {module_contentholder,name="menu"} while preserving modularity ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot that there are those that feel that football (soccer) is a game for fools. I guess that I am one of them .

Back on topic, as I said, je ne suis pas familier avec bc, hence I did not detect the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je confesse, Ben, qu'il m'arrive de regarder l'un ou l'autre match quand c'est une coupe d'Europe ou un Mondial. J'espère que mes compatriotes se fassent ridiculiser par une petite équipe mais lorsque les "Diables" parviennent à la rencontre avec l'Espagne, ou l'Angletterre, par exemple, je deviens comme "tout le monde": j'essaye de suivre le match et j'espère qu'ils gagnent.

I used BC but never to program and/or to design. The site was published on a server Adobe BC compatible provided automatically and freely, at this time at least, when you buy or have a monthly subscription for the product. I used BC to get statistics about the time my site is visited and from where, etc.

I verified in the meanwhile that DW CC does not maintain the mechanism I described above, allowing to link a container with some file contained in "_System/ContentHolder"

Therefore, I have to replace the code In order to achieve the same result while  preserving the modularity, and remaining as close as possible to the best Javascript programming practices. I am not a web developer... I manage only to get the best possible result by the best possible way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To convert you BC code to a format that would work, will depend on your server support. If your server supports php, then you just need to change the file extensions from html to php, and use php includes to insert them at run-time into the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer to stay in html. There should be possible to open an html page in a container on another page in standard JavaScript. Yes ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reserved no, using just html and/or javascript will not include any of the items in the page that are external to that page, (e.g. modules).

The reason I say 'reserved no' is because there is an html method to include external files, (module files) in an html page. Unfortunatly it is currently only supported by the Chrome and latest Android browsers. This would mean that anyone using a different browser or device would not see the contents of the included file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this precise, useful but despairing answer. This mean that  (except Chrome etc.), I'll have to include the same "module" code as many times as there are pages using this code! But it is HORRIBLE! HELP! HELP! Originally, since I was a computer scientist (25 years in R&D, scientific field), I never liked the internet and even less program for the web. Now I'm really well served!

I just want to open a page into an area of another, expecting that some specifications in the second apply to the first.

O Misery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use an iframe, providing you do not want the contents of the iframe to interact with anything on the page.

That would mean that things like your menu would not work correctly. An iframe is o/k just for content, but does also have accessibility issues. e.g. It is not usable with a screen reader.

Another possibility wouls be to create your page with things like the menu included, then to use ajax to change the content. That though would not be a beginner method as it does require a good understanding of javascript, plus you would possibly have to completely change your file structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would  simply switch over to server-side includes.  That makes the most longterm sense since you set it up once and forget it.

<?php require_once('folder/menu.html'); ?>

Alt-Web Design & Publishing: Server-Side Includes with PHP

Some shared hosting plans won't allow you to parse HTML files as PHP because it makes the server slower for everyone.  But if you have decent hosting  or a VPS plan, the option to keep using HTML files with PHP includes is possible by ammending or creating  an .htaccess file in your server's root folder.   I have many sites  and I use server-side includes in all of them. 

AddType text/html .php
AddHandler server-parsed .php
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
AddHandler server-parsed .html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know PHP, Nancy, have no desire to learn it (especially since it needs a server that supports it) and does not like the idea to mix server side files with my local files, nor to create explicit dependencies from the second to the first in my JS code. I ask to a linkedin Javascript group and directly to a member of it, a friend specialist working in the silicon valley. His team is using esoteric things like AngularJ, very mysterious expression which make me dream of the Graal ....     to the extent that this framework is supposed to improve the modularity of programming for the Web, but I don-t like the idea to become dependent from a framework, even if I was developing with .net (C# and a bit of ASP). As soon as I receive a satisfying answer, a really modular solution, I will inform you.

"magento purchase". What does this mean the BCMan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

module_contentholder is also server side, Adobe's server actually does the include

Server side includes are not tied to a language they are usually part of the webserver and you do not need to learn any languages (including PHP) if you don't want to.

Take a look at: Server Side Includes - Wikipedia

You would literally just have to replace those module_contentholder with <!--#include virtual="/_System/ContentHolders/menu.html" --> or something there about.

Adobe just purchased the e-commerce platform Magento.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines