Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving DW website and content to new account

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

I had already subscribed to Dreamweaver CC, using my private email as account. I have used Dreamweaver CC to build and publish my website. I was stil using Photoshop CS and Indesign CS.

I have now a new (buisiness)account for all Adobe CC, so i wil start using Photoshop CC and Indesign CC as well.

I want to include Dreamweaver as well in my new complete account. And then cancel the old private account. I want of course to keep my current website and content.

I am not sure how to do this. Can you pleas advice/help?

Best regards,

Mieke

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

I export my site definition settings to STE files and store them on external drives.  I keep these updated regularly in case I ever need to import them to a new PC or  version of DW.  

Go to Site > Manage Sites > Select one or all sites and hit the Export button.

Incidentally, STE files can be shared with colleague or clients.  However, I do not put these on the cloud for obvious security reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mieke,

This is a user2user forum and there is very little that we can do for you. You are best off getting in touch with Adobe using other means.

Probeer Contact Customer Care

Veel geluk.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although we can't help you with your Adobe ID for each account, the files that make up your web site reside locally on your computer. So all you need to do is define the site in the new copy of Dreamweaver that you installed and point it to the location of the site folder on your local hard drive. If you choose Site > Manage Sites in your old copy of Dreamweaver, you can export the site configuration (a small folder at the bottom of the Manage Sites Window) and then if you open your new copy of Dreamweaver, you can import those site settings using the Import button. Of course this is all supposedly possible by syncing your settings to your Adobe account, but I've struggled for quite some time to get that to successfully work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chad+Chelius  wrote

Of course this is all supposedly possible by syncing your settings to your Adobe account, but I've struggled for quite some time to get that to successfully work.

The cloud syncing feature is only for Dw preferences, and not for site settings. The reason is probably because of security concerns, as site settings contains all the info required for access to a web sites via ftp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only argument there is are you saying that my Creative Cloud files are not secure? Even if it synced everything EXCEPT the FTP passwords, that would be a huge help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not your, (read personal) files in CC that web developers would be worried about, more that clients web sites would be completely open to hackers, and could even be taken over by someone else should the info be stored in the CC account, (if hacked).

Many developers work on multiple sites, both old and new clients. If CC was hacked then it would require every site worked on to have all the sensitive info changed not just the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I totally get it. But like I said, even if it would sync everything except the server username and password, it would be a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export my site definition settings to STE files and store them on external drives.  I keep these updated regularly in case I ever need to import them to a new PC or  version of DW.  

Go to Site > Manage Sites > Select one or all sites and hit the Export button.

Incidentally, STE files can be shared with colleague or clients.  However, I do not put these on the cloud for obvious security reasons.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's actually a great idea Nancy. It gave me an idea. I copied the sites folder to my DropBox folder and then created a symbolic link to it in the location in my Library folder where Dreamweaver looks for a file. So now Dreamweaver writes and reads from my DropBox folder so it will always have my updated sites in that location. If I ever need to reinstall Dreamweaver or my computer, I just point DW to that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@miekej6464848,

Are you using Business Catalyst for your web hosting?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines