• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My index page doesn't seem to be reading my css...HELP!

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been messing around with my index page a bit but don't think I've done anything relating to the link to the CSS file.

http://www.victorianrailways.net/

The page just loads as straight HTML with no CSS formatting yet the CSS file is on the server.

TOPICS
Code , Error , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Have a look at https://hollandtrade.com.au/vicrail.html

Copy the source code and paste it into a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing formatting from your styles.css file.

You might just need to refresh your browser cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should the page look like - the linked style sheet IS being observed, but that dont necessarily mean the page is looking like it should do. There are errors both in the page and in the styesheet itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu bar (ul),  slideshow and textbox (div id "arrivals") should go across the page from left to right, not on top of each other. Before this, you didn't need to scroll to see the whole page contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm seeing.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm seeing too, all three elements should line up horizontily, NOT vertically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already stated, fix your code errors.  Fatal errors are never a good thing  in your code.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.victorianrailways.net%2F

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at https://hollandtrade.com.au/vicrail.html

Copy the source code and paste it into a new document.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, How can I ever thank you? That is perfection, and what's more, it now works on the ipad. (It still vertically stacks on an iphone but I'm not worried about that at all. I see it has bootstrap elements which I haven't even tried to get my head around yet so I'm going to hit the Jennifer Robbins book "Learning Web Design" and start trying to figure out what you did. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations! You now have all the overheads of the bloated Bootstrap css file - 99% of which you don't require - just to put 3 containers side by side, a poor suggestion/solution in my opinion. It's like building a block of 50 high-rise flats and leaving all the lights on,  to house just one family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that you feel left behind and always come with bitter statements. Not sure where you get the 99% from and who says that it was just to put 3 containers side by side. 

Using Boostrap boils down to being able to design websites faster and easier. As far as the bloated part is concerned, I just saw a video of a Bugatti breaking the 300 mph barrier. That's what I call bloated yet I'd love to have one if it wasn't for a financial barrier. Which barrier is stopping you from using Bootstap? Pride?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Left behind....hmmm let me think.......does Bootstrap have css grid? Only developers not using grid are those still beholden to Bootstrap. If ever there was a barrier it's Bootstrap! Faster and easier also equates to bloated and generally poor - fortunately I do have some pride in what I produce. Bitter statements or just ones that enlighten. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the difference between flexbox and grids. When I looked at them I turned away because I couldn't figure out the difference and both seemed to need a big learning curve. What are state of the art websites using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are similar and should be used in combination with each other, for the best effect. Grid allows you to extend over columns and rows while flex is more one dimensional. Grid makes it easier to produce a responsive layout more than ever before - there is really no excuse to resort to a framework these days for buildng responsive websites.

Whist I accept Bootstrap is not just a provider of responisve layouts, it also has some extras like modals, carousels etc. However ALL frameworks and libraries, not just Bootstrap, if you become dependent upon them, will eventually breed lethargy and it then becomes difficult to explore beyond a very limited boundary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope osgood_ you are building in a fallback if you are using CSS Grid, otherwise you are doing your clients a disservice.

Just face facts were all just not as amazing as you are .... We get it, you are amazing, nobody else lives up to your standards ....

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a decision not to support IE any longer, so no issues. When do you think is the right time to move forwards and embrace newer tecnologies, which make development easier? If it means a minor percent of users don't get to see the website exactly how it should be seen then I think its worth the pay off. Most good developer were using Flexbox way before 94% of global browser support and more than 2 years before Bootstrap finally caught up.

Some one somewhere has to set standards. You would not want to go to your local restaurant to find cat pooh all over the kitchen, that's why we have local council health inspectors, looking after us. I guess they are also viewed, by those, who are not so professional, as having 'high standards'. They are not 'amazing' they are just doing their job to the best of their ability and professionally, looking out for the likes of you and me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines