Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My SQL local and remote sync.

Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am designing a site. My hosting provider offers me already three databases MySQL. At the same time, I have the MAMP installed on my local computer (Mac OS). So, technically I have 2 applications My SQL (one local and one remote). I want to synchronize at least one table of the database: the one of the web contact form results. Is posible? How can I do it properly?

I guess I should work with the remote one because that will store (record) all the visitor submissions who fill up the webform. Then, how can I retrieve all this data to my local computer on daily or hourly basis. So, every hour at least I can track if somebody filled up the web form and submitted.

Should I also build "the same" table on my  local database with the "same fields" so the synchronization can be done? I feel that this sounds weird. It's my first time working with database.

Suggestions, tips, please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

If you just want to track who has filled up the webform with what informtion why dont you have the information sent back to your email address when the web form is subimtted?

If you want to duplicate the remote database locally then if might be best to set up a download remote database procedure through your admin panel which does this at time/s you specify.

Usually a local database set up is only used at the development stage of a website setup thereafter the remote database information is backed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want to track who has filled up the webform with what informtion why dont you have the information sent back to your email address when the web form is subimtted?

If you want to duplicate the remote database locally then if might be best to set up a download remote database procedure through your admin panel which does this at time/s you specify.

Usually a local database set up is only used at the development stage of a website setup thereafter the remote database information is backed up automatically and sent back to your email address in the form of a zip or sql file from the server. This file can be imported into your local database setup if more local develoment work is required at a later stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The notification to my email -that somebody filled up the form- would be really nice; however, I am using a third party software for web forms (with graphic interface). The settings allows me top have this option of email notifications, but unfortunately it has not been working on my remote server. I didn't receive any notification. My hosting provider company wants to charge me extra for solving this issue. Well, if I can do it manually, through some PHP scripts and maybe some javascripts it would be wonderful.

For some components, little by little I am going more for scripts rather than "graphic interfaces" which are marvelous but gave me headaches.

So, I can try additionally some PHP code to set up an email notification and let's see what happens.

Now regarding the database issue:

" ...thereafter the remote database information is backed up automatically and sent back to your email address in the form of a zip or sql file from the server. This file can be imported into your local database setup..."

How can I do it? Through the phpmyAdmin application?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use free phpMyAdmin to export and import SQL tables between remote & local databases.    My remote server has it in the admin panel.   My local server came with it.

https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines