• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My tables have a total of 8,000 lines of HTML - am I insane?!

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://v33.ancestry.higgsy.co.uk/archivex.php

This page has five tables with almost 8000 lines of HTML.  Depending on the table there are three or four cells per row.  The first cell is usually empty and is used now and again for a link to jump to the top of the table.

I've tried a couple of alternative approaches:

HTML at lines 663 – 702 (search for 'Walby') show me being very bold and is my first attempt at using grid!

At the very bottom of the file the last few lines in the file show me experimenting with just using padding and no table tags

Neither alternative seems to really reduce the amount of HTML

Should I be bothered about all this?  I know a table is not responsive but it’s only a 213k page.  Could I do this any better? Some kind of database? It’s likely a huge amount of work to present this information in another way so I think if I had to redo the page in some other way I would probably write a program to read in the HTML and spit out the new code and content

Do any of you clever people have any ideas or comment?  Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

It all depends on who the page(s) are for.

If it is just for yourself and your family/relatives, then i would say why bother changing it or worrying about it, if it works.

If it is for public consumption, then yes, change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on who the page(s) are for.

If it is just for yourself and your family/relatives, then i would say why bother changing it or worrying about it, if it works.

If it is for public consumption, then yes, change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had table bigger than it, and in production web site, and never encounter any trouble... did you try stuff like table filter... this one is pretty usefull , fully configurable, complete and so easy to use... HTML Table Filter Generator script by Max Guglielmi  and you can also find other alternative solution out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines