Highlighted

Mysterious .css files

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to use Dreamweaver on my Macbook to open any .shtml file from my website "hi-sci.org",  both of the associated .css files plus the Header.shtml and Footer.shtml files are ignored when formatting the display.  What is even stranger is that when any .shtml file is opened my "Styles.css" file plus my "Horiontal_Menu.css" file  are replaced on the display by spurious "Styles.css" and "Horiontal_Menu.css" files which comprise little more than the statement "You don't have permission to access this resource".

Even stranger yet is the fact that my identical version of Dreamweaver on my desktop Imac had no problem with any of the files on this website.  The two computers access the same set of files using Dropbox.

Why should one computer work and not the other?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mysterious .css files

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to use Dreamweaver on my Macbook to open any .shtml file from my website "hi-sci.org",  both of the associated .css files plus the Header.shtml and Footer.shtml files are ignored when formatting the display.  What is even stranger is that when any .shtml file is opened my "Styles.css" file plus my "Horiontal_Menu.css" file  are replaced on the display by spurious "Styles.css" and "Horiontal_Menu.css" files which comprise little more than the statement "You don't have permission to access this resource".

Even stranger yet is the fact that my identical version of Dreamweaver on my desktop Imac had no problem with any of the files on this website.  The two computers access the same set of files using Dropbox.

Why should one computer work and not the other?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume Header.shtml and Footer.shtml are server-side-include files.  To parse SSIs you need a local testing server installed and defined in DW.   Likewise, your server must be configured to parse .shtml files. 

CC-testingServer1.jpg

In mty experience,  DW works best when a local site folder resides on the primary hard drive, not networked or cloud drives like dropbox.  In my screenshot above, my local site is in my testing server's default web folder.  On Wamp server that is www but on Xampp and Mamp, it's htdocs.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer to this tutorial on setting up a local testing server.

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/archive/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, Nancy.    I ended up solving (but still not understanding) my problem by gradually moving all the webfiles to a new folder.  But my fingers are still crossed!    Gareth

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines