Highlighted

Need template suggestions

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I designed a website 12 years ago (with the help of this community) but it is static and dated.  I need to update it so that it is responsive.  I'm looking for suggestions for templates - I'm not comfortable taking on the changes in technology since I built the site.  I know a fare amount of html but very little css - enough to do some basics and have no idea how to manage java script.  However, I'm a quick study and usually can figure things out through trial and error with a little help.

My site is personal, heavy photo usage, I'm converting audio files from flash to html5, will have videos.  The old site used Lightbox very heavily.  I also had spry assets that I know are dated.  The new site needs to be searchable.

So the big question...where should I start looking for templates that accommodate all of my needs?  Is there any one template that will be able to help me in all areas?  Or will I need to purchase a variety of templates?  Ideally, it would be nice to purchase whatever is needed from one location that offers some technical support.

I've considered using Wordpress or Wix - but they are so limited and not really up to what I'm wanting to achieve - that I have my heart set on finding templates that I can work with in Dreamweaver.  I know the interface and can work much faster.

Sorry if this is such a beginner question.  Just looking for a push in the right direction and I'm hoping that I can get help from time to time as I try to take this on.

Rhonda

Hi Ashley,

You can use the free Bootstrap starter pages that come with Dreamweaver. Here is a little balance sheet for you:

Plusses

Free with Dreamweaver 18

You can get some help on this forum

Code is responsive out of the box

Minuses

Bootstrap is rather porky

The code is complicated as it is a "Jack of all trades" kind of thing

It is not Adobe code, but rather open source, so support is on a volunteer basis

Project Seven Page Packs

I am one of the founders of the company, which has been around since Dreamweaver started back in the late 1990s.

Pages are built using a visual interface inside Dreamweaver

Support and advice is free and unlimited via telephone, forum, and email

Responsive out of the box

Minuses

Not free

Depending on your needs and skill levels, you might require more than 1 plugin.

Here is an example page for one of our packs:

Typecrafters: Layout 01

TOPICS
Dreamweaver CC 2014

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need template suggestions

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I designed a website 12 years ago (with the help of this community) but it is static and dated.  I need to update it so that it is responsive.  I'm looking for suggestions for templates - I'm not comfortable taking on the changes in technology since I built the site.  I know a fare amount of html but very little css - enough to do some basics and have no idea how to manage java script.  However, I'm a quick study and usually can figure things out through trial and error with a little help.

My site is personal, heavy photo usage, I'm converting audio files from flash to html5, will have videos.  The old site used Lightbox very heavily.  I also had spry assets that I know are dated.  The new site needs to be searchable.

So the big question...where should I start looking for templates that accommodate all of my needs?  Is there any one template that will be able to help me in all areas?  Or will I need to purchase a variety of templates?  Ideally, it would be nice to purchase whatever is needed from one location that offers some technical support.

I've considered using Wordpress or Wix - but they are so limited and not really up to what I'm wanting to achieve - that I have my heart set on finding templates that I can work with in Dreamweaver.  I know the interface and can work much faster.

Sorry if this is such a beginner question.  Just looking for a push in the right direction and I'm hoping that I can get help from time to time as I try to take this on.

Rhonda

Hi Ashley,

You can use the free Bootstrap starter pages that come with Dreamweaver. Here is a little balance sheet for you:

Plusses

Free with Dreamweaver 18

Minuses

It is not Adobe code, but rather open source, so support is on a volunteer basis

Project Seven Page Packs

I am one of the founders of the company, which has been around since Dreamweaver started back in the late 1990s.

Minuses

Not free

TOPICS
Dreamweaver CC 2014

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2018 0
Mentor ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashley,

Plusses

Free with Dreamweaver 18

Minuses

Project Seven Page Packs

Minuses

Not free

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I am looking through the Project Seven options now. I'm looking at the Typcrafters pack now and it looks like it will work nicely.  Is it easy to move the menu either below the banner or to the left sidebar?  I have an animated gif file that I would like to use for the banner...so ideally I would like to keep the menu separate.

Maybe it is best that I call them in the morning to get some advice as to which one to choose based on my needs?

Rhonda

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 0
Mentor ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to call in the morning. Actually, I'll probably be in the office by 10am ET. But if not someone else will be able to assist you. If you are interested in Typecrafters, we can give you a comp copy of the Harmony page builder, which can be used to move your columns around, reorder them... basically it's like playing with Legos . Just be advised that if you are using Dreamweaver 18 you will need to download and install our free extension manager that you can use to install the tools:

PVII Extension Manager for Adobe Creative Cloud

If you have an older version of Dreamweaver (CS6 or earlier) you will have an Adobe extension manager that was automatically installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have access to Dreamweaver through the creative cloud - so it sounds like I'll need the extension manager which should be easy enough to install.  If the menu can be placed in a row below the banner, then this will work nicely.  So glad I decided to post on the forum...you just made my night.  I've been dreading this for well over a year and have been going back and forth with other web builders, trying to find time to take classes and basically begging my kids to make this a career choice so they could do it for me.

Thank you so very much!  Have a wonderful night.

Rhonda

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ForAshley  wrote

The new site needs to be searchable.

Static HTML content is not searchable.  To support a search feature, you would need to build your site with server-side code and databases.  WordPress uses PHP & MySQL data therefore it is searchable.  

Or  build your own dynamic site with one or more commercial extensions from  DMX Zone or WebAssist

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy...do the extensions you mentioned work with Project Seven? I

purchased one of their page packs today.

Everyone here is always so helpful. Truly appreviated!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 0
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ForAshley  wrote

Thanks Nancy...do the extensions you mentioned work with Project Seven?

I don't see why not.  PVII layouts should work fine with database driven content.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 0
Mentor ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Wrensoft's Zoom Search. It's worked remarkably well for us. So, it is an alternative to explore...

Zoom Website Search Engine - Add search to a website, intranet or CD

It offers all the current languages and the indexer runs from your desktop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll look into that one as well

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 0
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

static HTML pages can be searched based on a search tool using a JSON index........ I often do this for some of my clients whose datas are very old and does not come from a database.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 1