• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Dreamweaver problem with site [was: is a Nightmare]

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was reviewing my website:  www.yellowstone.co when I noticed a space before a comma.  I went in removed the space and saved the page.  I then uploaded the new page with the correction.  What I got was a totally messed up webpage and I am pissed!  I have been doing this since 1995 and have never had a software on it own add or change code and screw up a website.  This is totally unacceptable and very very frustrating!  Adobe has to fix this right now big time!  Help!  This is the new DW 19.1 build 11240.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had DW do that either.

There's really nothing Adobe would be able to do for you if you overwrote a functional page with a newly broken one no matter what the reason for it breaking ends up being.

Your best bet, and most likely quickest resolution, is probably going to be to go to your hosting company and see if they can pull that page from a backup and replace the problem page online while troubleshooting continues with DW to find where the issue came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am on line and in the que to do that.  I am just afraid to use DW again.  Crap is about all I have to say for the very new DW.  Very frustrating!  Thanks for your time and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what was changed by DW?

Maybe some more specifics about what has apparently been changed, will help the contributors here figure out what might have happened and get you back on track.

I know some oddities can arise from DW's auto-complete functionality when it runs into html code errors. It's possible DW tried to "fix" something that was technically broken (but rendering correctly in the browser) and in the process, made a code completion that now forces a bad rendering?

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you had, and what you now have.

Are your code completion settings turned on in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply!  If you look at my website you will notice all most all the website alignment is on the left side and not centered and the table formats are all gone and the footer format.  Just about all the formatting is lost.  I did not do anything but go in and remove an unwanted space in the main text:  and I became , “a Yellowstone fanatic.”  I removed the space after "became" and the comma (,).  Save the page and uploaded it and what you see now is what I got.  I did not do any other changes at all, nothing.  It looks like DW made changes in the css or java or other scripts when I made my correction and that they were uploaded at the same time.

I cannot find "code completion" in the setting in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My server host, GoDaddy, has no backup... unless you want to pay big $$$.  So I am SOL! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yellowstone84  wrote

My server host, GoDaddy, has no backup... unless you want to pay big $$$.  So I am SOL! 

It looks like its pretty easy to copy most of what is on your homepage from a child page, the top and bottom, at least. Its only the middle bit that need reformating. Why no back-up. You should always keep a back-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had assumed (wrongly) that GoDaddy did daily or weekly backups as my old hosting service did.  I learned sadly this morning that they do not.  As far as formatting goes I fear that if I make the changes that they will be negated by DW again.  Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, it did not like the fully defined link to the css.  I changed that from:  "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.yellowstone.co/css/main.css"> to "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/main.css">" and the formatting came back... ???  It looks like it is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was pilot error, not a Dreamweaver error as you implied at the start.  What have you learned from this?

1. Check your work in a local browser BEFORE you upload to server.
  2. Do not mix HTTP with HTTPS content.  Mixed content is blocked by browsers for security reasons. Crrently your site is not showing a green / secure connection padlock because of other mixed content on the site. See screenshot.
  3. Always maintain reliable backup files.  Use Backblaze or some other cloud backup system.
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason it works with a relative path is because, when you use relative links, the browser "writes in" the path to the file based on the current page's full address. If the current page is https, a relative link will automatically be written in as https. I'm guessing you recently transferred hosting and went with an SSL?

So rather than having an absolute link to an insecure .css file while using the http protocol, which is blocked, the browser now fills in the remaining part of the file path and using https because the page it's on is https.

Don't walk the high wire without a net.

I'll second Backblaze but you should, at bare minimum, be making local back-ups from time to time. Mistakes happen, files go corrupt, cats knock over soda cans into fan vents, fires, floods, ill-tempered 3 year olds, the list goes on... back-ups can save you more often than you'd think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Incidentally, your site is not responsive for mobile and tablet users.  That's a Google penalty all by itself. 

Mobile-Friendly Test - Google Search Console

It's probably time to think about a site re-build.  And Dreamweaver CC contains responsive starter templates to help you with that.   Go to File > New > Starter Templates.  See screenshot.

CC-StarterPage.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to find another webpage software.  I will not use DW again until this is fixed or I will just never use DW again... this sucks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE ADOBE just Sell Dreamweaver CS6 again... We'll pay double.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines