Highlighted

OT: Difference between Subscription form & Enquiry form?

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who wants me to include a 'confirmation of subscription' email for a newsletter and other information, which is fine, I can do that to make sure the email used at the time of the request belongs to the person that actually owns the email.

So what's the difference because they also have, as does many other websites, a general enquiry form. So I could fill out the enquiry form using someone elses email and have a bunch of unsolicited crap sent to them.

Ive seen subscription forms use the confirmation workflow to establish the email address used belongs to the person who instigated the subscription request BUT I dont think Ive yet come across an enquiry form which uses it -  can you confirm you sent this enquiry......click here, maybe someone has?

Humm....any thoughts?

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

OT: Difference between Subscription form & Enquiry form?

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who wants me to include a 'confirmation of subscription' email for a newsletter and other information, which is fine, I can do that to make sure the email used at the time of the request belongs to the person that actually owns the email.

So what's the difference because they also have, as does many other websites, a general enquiry form. So I could fill out the enquiry form using someone elses email and have a bunch of unsolicited crap sent to them.

Ive seen subscription forms use the confirmation workflow to establish the email address used belongs to the person who instigated the subscription request BUT I dont think Ive yet come across an enquiry form which uses it -  can you confirm you sent this enquiry......click here, maybe someone has?

Humm....any thoughts?

Os

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen, (and had) a copy of an enquiry sent to me that says something like -

" Thany you for your enquiry, (then shows the enquires conten). We will reply to you as soon as possible".

The e-mail then goes on to say that if I did not make this enquiry, please click on the link below. Which then sends you to a web page containing a couple of boxes and asks you to make a selection.

Similar to an un-subscribe link, except that it probably passes on the enquiry number to the database, and marks it as invalid. A script probably then runs after a specific period of time to remove the db info.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I've seen, (and had) a copy of an enquiry sent to me that says something like -

" Thany you for your enquiry, (then shows the enquires conten). We will reply to you as soon as possible".

That's usually sent back AFTER the information reaches the client, not before. Ive seen that and sometimes use it myself.

I think the 'if I did not make this enquiry' bit would be to REMOVE the email BUT that's just daft as youre making someone who didnt request anything work to remove their email when if you sent a confirmation email BEFORE their enquiry even gets to the client you could word it like.

Click here to confirm you enquired. Do NOTHING if you didnt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

The problem with that is, what happens if the enail ends up in the spam folder?

Another 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't' situation .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
osgood_ LATEST
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

The problem with that is, what happens if the enail ends up in the spam folder?

Another 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't' situation .

Both workflows could end up in the spam box...........hummmm. Oh well you can only do what you can do but there doesnt seem to be much logic in requesting confirmation if you want to subscribe to receive information and no confirmation that you sent an enquiry, where potentially someone could be spoofing your email address and asking for information to be sent. Time for a beer I think

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 1