Highlighted

OT: Firefox Quantum neuters a great Add-On

Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Chris Pederick's great Web Developer Toolbar for many years.  The latest version of Firefox Quantum has removed the APIs that allowed Chris' add-on to work.  The newest add-on version 2.0 is a shell of its former self.  Many tools & features are gone.  As Chris explained , he had no choice but to remove them.

Reviews for Web Developer – Add-ons for Firefox

What remains of the add-on is not visible on a toolbar.  Instead, you have to dig into top level menus and hope you find what you're looking for.  I'm really, really upset by this change.  If you're like me and you use the Firefox Web Developer Toolbar, DO NOT UPGRADE Firefox and be sure to turn off automatic updates for your add-ons.

If I can, I'm going to revert back to an earlier version.  This is really awful.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

OT: Firefox Quantum neuters a great Add-On

Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Chris Pederick's great Web Developer Toolbar for many years.  The latest version of Firefox Quantum has removed the APIs that allowed Chris' add-on to work.  The newest add-on version 2.0 is a shell of its former self.  Many tools & features are gone.  As Chris explained , he had no choice but to remove them.

Reviews for Web Developer – Add-ons for Firefox

What remains of the add-on is not visible on a toolbar.  Instead, you have to dig into top level menus and hope you find what you're looking for.  I'm really, really upset by this change.  If you're like me and you use the Firefox Web Developer Toolbar, DO NOT UPGRADE Firefox and be sure to turn off automatic updates for your add-ons.

If I can, I'm going to revert back to an earlier version.  This is really awful.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2017 0
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three days ago I was suddenly confronted with the 'New' Firefox and, while I appreciate the streamlining of the browser, I am stuck with the loss of a couple of Web Developer tools, namely 'View Generated Source' and 'Display Style Information'.

I have found a workaround of sorts for the former by, on the page, hitting CTRL+A. Now when I right click, instead of

I get

A workaround for the latter is supposed to be according to Examine and edit CSS - Firefox Developer Tools | MDN

Both are a far cry from what I am used to, but I will not go back to an earlier version of Firefox because of

which is half of what I am used to.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 1
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't disable Javascript, Display Styles, validate local HTML and CSS, etc... etc... etc...   I'm so depressed by this.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can feel your pain. Think of it in a positive manner, many developers, including me, are going through the same emotions and experience tells me that the dark clouds will disappear. Chris Pederick will come up with workarounds for the deficiencies in Firefox and we will soon have our trusted functions returned to us. In the end it will be like making up with your wife/husband/partner after a squabble.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have noticed that I am using Dreamweaver is 2017. This is because an extension that I am using fails in 2018, another one of those wait and see situations.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as bad as you two but l lost my eyedropper tool completely and had to replace it with a less effective one. Seriously, this is a pile of pants.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reverted to the legacy extension.  If/when FF Quantum adds back the APIs they took away, I'll revisit it.   In the meantime, I can use my other browsers to surf.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woaw Ben, you're some how lucky... look what I get in my side... 11.19.2017-04.00.28

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what happens when the unit of measure is mégaoctets

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

depending on the moment and the action... it goes up to 10 gb memory just for the main instance... well it was complex to grab the right time... the computer was so hiccuping...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the generated source work around tip Ben.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2017 0